PSP + Retro Emulation...

Talk about Handheld gaming devices and Mobile gaming here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

louis012345678
Doom

Re: PSP + Retro Emulation...

Post#11 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:21 am

Ooh I didn't know retroarch was on psp. I might have to try it :-)

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:13 am

its running quite nicely so far for most things! I tried Super Metroid last night and it ran properly, however it got pretty slow once the game started. Ran PC Engine really well, and SMS as well. So now I've got the following emulators running on my PSP;

PS1
SMS/GG
SMD
NES
SNS
PC Engine
GB/GBA/GBC (currently not using)

Is there any decent Atari Lynx emulation for the PSP? I assume that asking for a Jaguar emulator is probably pushing my luck slightly lol

ALSO, I have noticed an issue where I cannot seem to find my WIFI on the PSP, but I can see some wifi's near me, just not mine... is it to do with the time on the PSP being incorrect?

I've bought some new rechargeable batteries, 3rd party obvs, and a replacement battery comp cover, not sure when they will get here from hong kong though lol
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

louis012345678
Doom

Post#13 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:51 am

Funnily enough there actually is an atari jaguar emulator for psp. I think it's just for proof of concept as it runs hideously slow (https://youtu.be/Q_2ALZteHfM). In terms of the lynx there is an emulator called 'Handy PSP'. It seems to work okay but the audio is quite crackly and the games don't quite run at full speed a lot of the time (~95% speed). Also, roadblasters doesn't work properly :-/

In terms of the wifi there is no reason why it wouldn't find it at all?! I know a lot of routers that use some of the newer security protocols (wpa2 I think) aren't supported by the psp and display the message 'not supported' in the signal strength column.

louis012345678
Doom

Post#14 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:52 am

P.s. Even if you do get the wifi working, most websites won't load on the built in browser

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#15 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:00 am

PSP supports WPA but not WPA2 apparently. There are a few ways of going about getting that, my preferred way being daisy chaining an old router.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:59 am

Interesting, thanks guys!

So in terms of Jaguar and Lynx, are there any decent emulators for those on PC? I am happy to run everything else via my PSP, I do have emulators on my desktop pc for sega etc but the psp is just a handier way of doing it.

I'll check out the wifi and see what its using, I use talktalk

Lenny13
noob

Post#17 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:04 am

Until recently, I used PSP, although in recent years I have been playing more from the phone, I already have the same taken, for the rest of the games I think it’s for the near future

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 am

See I was doing a lot of it via Android previously, but what with emulation on my PC, and PSP, I don't think I will bother with doing it on my phone from now on, I find touch screen to inaffective when trying to control and play seriously in anyway, but that's just my personal experience, I do have bluetooth controllers etc but it can be a bit of a hassle. I may simply use my phone to do SNES emulation as on the PSP, some SNES games seem to fail, such as Demons Crest (sections where you can choose your next area on the map) or Super Metroid (runs uber slow on PSP)

louis012345678
Doom

Post#19 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:53 am

I mainly use a jxd 7800b for emulation now. Can even run a lot of dreamcast games :-)

mrtempuser
shadow

Post#20 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 pm

I used CPS2PSP (a Capcom Play System 2 emulator) on my PSP 1001 years ago, and it seemed to run games fine. If you try it, keep in mind it needs specific versions of the ROMs to run.