PSP + Retro Emulation...

Talk about Handheld gaming devices and Mobile gaming here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

PSP + Retro Emulation...

Post#1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:49 am

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to start it. Secondly, I believe we are ok to talk about emulation on the forum as I regularly see posts about getting roms and other stuff etc, but if its not ok, I apologise again!

I have an old 1004 model PSP which I have modded to allow me to store and play PSP games, and even PS1 games on an SD card... does anyone know how well it handles emulation of older consoles, and does anyone know if there is anything you have to do with it to get it to be able to run these emulators? Or is it a case that, now it runs PSP and PS1 roms, it will run any other ROM as well?

Thanks in advance guys.
Guild Card: Odin #13044
Ultrapro; Oldskooling since 1990. Long Live DREAMCAST!!
Check out my Twitch channel!https://www.twitch.tv/ultrapro_dc

louis012345678
Doom

Re: PSP + Retro Emulation...

Post#2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:33 am

Nes is fine
Master System is fine
Megadrive is fine (apart from virtua racing)
Snes is meh (speed varies)
N64 is slooooow
Pc engine is meh (speed is fine but compatability isn't great)
Msx is fine
Not tried neo geo and mame because I couldn't get it to work :-/
Atari 2600 is fine
Gameboy/gameboy colour is fine
Gba is mostly fine

Love the PSP :-)

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 am

Nice one! So I might use my PSP for PSX, Mega Drive and SMS, SNES MAYBE, and GB/GBA/GBC...

So as far as your aware no further steps are required to get the Roms to work on it? Can I just dump ROMs onto it and it'll run them fine?

I haven't used my modded PSP in ages, gonna invest in some new 3rd party batteries with double the out of the box capacity, and maybe a new battery panel/cover as its proper flakey. Lovely little bit of kit though and so easy to emulate on!!

louis012345678
Doom

Post#4 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:07 am

Hi,
Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as just dumping ROMs. You will need to download the appropriate emulators and put them in the /PSP/GAME folder. I can't remember where I downloaded my emulators from but I can tell you what emulators I use:
Atari 2600: PSP2600
Megadrive: Picodrive
NES: uoNesterJ
SNES: Snes9xEuphoria
Master System (and GB/GBC): Master Boy
MSX: PSPMSX
PC Engine: HuE for PSP
GBA: UO gpSP kai

Most of these emulators have their own rom folders where you need to dump the appropriate roms.

Have fun :-)

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:26 am

Nice one thanks, I assume i have to load the emulator then pick the game right? Just like I would on Android? I only ask because for PSP and PSX I can just load the roms off the bat from the usb mem stick section, just wanna make sure I understand how it will work

louis012345678
Doom

Post#6 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:00 pm

Yes that is right. Some emulators automatically default to the rom folder included and some emulators go straight to the last directory you were in. Other than that, it's just as simple as selecting a game (and maybe messing around with the emulator settings for controls and region settings).

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:25 am

Neopop is a neo Geo pocket emulator that works excellent.

Also after some minor work I did on daedalusx64 things are better.

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:51 pm

So I've got SNES and Mega Drive working nicely on it, using the emulators you suggested Louis, however on the SNES one, I am having issues with getting Metroid Prime to load, I might try a different rom but thought I'd run it past you, the intro plays fine but once you get to the gameplay, it doesn't seem to display things at all, just a blue screen and I can hear samus making noises lol. Come across that before at all?

louis012345678
Doom

Post#9 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi,
I'm assuming you mean Super Metroid (Metroid Prime is a gamecube game)?
I haven't really used the snes emulator much and have only tested it with a couple of jrpgs (chrono trigger and ff4). I know super metroid has some mode 7 features in it so the emulator might be having trouble with mode 7 games. If you try something like mario kart or fzero and see if it is playable (I don't have access to my psp at the minute) and it works ok then mode 7 is fine. Other than that I'm not sure sorry...

DCUltrapro
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Heh yes sorry I meant super metroid, I tried demon crest and it worked fine. I'm using a newer version of retroarch now and it seems good, will let you know how metroid works