USB-GDROM: No fat32 Partition found

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

TRGC_Impulsze
shadow

USB-GDROM: No fat32 Partition found

Post#1 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:14 pm

I recently installed and connected my USB-GDROM. I've followed what little instructions there are, and when I turn on my Dreamcast, I get a black screen with red letters, telling me No fat32 partition found. When I have the portable hdd connected to my PC, it finds it right away.

Its a Western Digital 1TB (blue) My Passport. Partitioned to Fat32 64k optimized primary. I have the Launch Dashboard ISO in the root directory. There is only 1 partition on the drive. I have the lidswitch soldered in. What am I missing?

Thanks guys.

Xiden
Developer

Re: USB-GDROM: No fat32 Partition found

Post#2 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Try a 32k cluster size instead and see if that works for you

TRGC_Impulsze
shadow

Post#3 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Just reformatted again, FAT32 32k clusters this time. Still, No FAT32 Partition.

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:17 am

Found you a solution. Go ahead and do a 64k cluster size and the parition must be a primary and not a logical that appears to be the issue

https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comm ... nclosures/

TRGC_Impulsze
shadow

Post#5 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:38 am

So I reformatted again, trying to follow that link... This time I notice that the hdd was set to GPT. So I reformat it to FAT32 MBR 64k cluster Primary... and still, get the NO FAT32 PARTITION error. I'm starting to think that its simply the fact that this WD portable drive wont work :cry:

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 am

dang it! :( You might try a third party formatting tool and see if that works better. When im off work I'll see if I can find the one MNEMO sent me last year. I'm personally using this https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-G ... +128gb+USB

TRGC_Impulsze
shadow

Post#7 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:36 pm

I have used 2 different reformating tools, Macromit and Mini tools.... still getting same results. On the Mnemo site there's a small blurb at the very bottom saying to put some .inf file on the HDD. Would I need that, as well as the Launch.ISO?

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm

Yeah stick that in the root folder. Launch iso just allows you to get to the dreamcast dashboard. You will see it as a selectable option

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Here's MNEMO's direct contact dr.mnemo@gmail.com if you still can't get it up and running

TRGC_Impulsze
shadow

Post#10 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 am

I decide to test my USB-GDROM by using a 4gb USB 2.0 flash drive. Right away the Dreamcast detects the flash drive and it works. This leads me to believe the real issue has to do with my HDD being USB 3.0. I wonder if anyone out there has a working HDD that is USB 3.0. If so, i'd like to know what brand.