Sylverant PSO Patcher not reading disc

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

FlippyTheYoshi
shadow

Sylverant PSO Patcher not reading disc

Post#1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Hello, I'm trying to configure everything to play PSO online.

I saw that I needed a patcher to connect to the Sylverant private server, so I donwloaded the .cdi file, burnt it with both DiscJuggler and ImgBurn and no luck.

My Dreamcast reads the disc, but when I attempt to swap the disc with my PSO disc, the patcher does absolutely nothing, it waits infinitely for a GD-ROM disc.

Any help?

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher not reading disc

Post#2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:18 am

To be clear, the boot disc starts and recognises when you've opened the disc lid, but it never says it's checking the GD-ROM when you close the lid again? You're using a real GD-ROM, right? It won't boot a CD-R, and a CD-R copy of PSO doesn't need a boot disc, anyway.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

FlippyTheYoshi
shadow

Post#3 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:38 am

Aleron Ives wrote:To be clear, the boot disc starts and recognises when you've opened the disc lid, but it never says it's checking the GD-ROM when you close the lid again? You're using a real GD-ROM, right? It won't boot a CD-R, and a CD-R copy of PSO doesn't need a boot disc, anyway.

Well I'm new to this, so from what you said, I don't have to insert the patcher to join PSO private servers, Sylverant's server in this case?

Also when I swap the patcher CD with the PSO one, nothing happens, it just gets stuck on "Insert the GD-ROM", I don't really know if the console freezes at that point or the patcher just doesn't recognice the CD (Which I read that if the patcher can't recognice it, it'll be displayed on screen)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#4 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

The boot disc does not accept CD-Rs (by design). It will only work with a retail GD-ROM. If you insert a GD-ROM copy of PSO that it doesn't recognise, it will tell you. This should never happen, as all known retail copies of PSO are already accounted for.

If you want to play with a CD-R that has fast loading, you can use mine:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/download ... v2.torrent

It connects to Sylverant automatically, so you just put it in your DC, power on the system, and play. No other discs are required, aside from whatever browser you used to configure your ISP settings.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

FlippyTheYoshi
shadow

Post#5 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:44 am

Aleron Ives wrote:The boot disc does not accept CD-Rs (by design). It will only work with a retail GD-ROM. If you insert a GD-ROM copy of PSO that it doesn't recognise, it will tell you. This should never happen, as all known retail copies of PSO are already accounted for.

If you want to play with a CD-R that has fast loading, you can use mine:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/download ... v2.torrent

It connects to Sylverant automatically, so you just put it in your DC, power on the system, and play. No other discs are required, aside from whatever browser you used to configure your ISP settings.

Awesome! I'll try downloading it, I'll edit this post when I'm done burning it and trying it. Thanks in advance! ^^

EDIT: What are the differences between the 3 7z files? So I can burn the one that suits me well

EDIT 2: After burning the game, it asks me for a Serial Number, do I generate it inside my account on Sylverant.net? Since I read it's only if you happen to own a copy of the game.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#6 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:34 am

The torrent has a copy of PSOv1, PSOv2, and PSOv2 with the Enhancement Pack. See here for what the EP does:

http://psopalace.forumotion.com/t206-th ... ement-pack

If you don't have a GD-ROM, you'll have to find a shared serial, which will prevent you from registering, using automatic character backups, and participating in server events. If you want those things, you'll need to pick up a complete copy of USv2 on eBay and use the unique serials that come with it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

FlippyTheYoshi
shadow

Post#7 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:43 am

Aleron Ives wrote:The torrent has a copy of PSOv1, PSOv2, and PSOv2 with the Enhancement Pack. See here for what the EP does:

http://psopalace.forumotion.com/t206-th ... ement-pack

If you don't have a GD-ROM, you'll have to find a shared serial, which will prevent you from registering, using automatic character backups, and participating in server events. If you want those things, you'll need to pick up a complete copy of USv2 on eBay and use the unique serials that come with it.

Great, thanks for all the help!

If I manage to get an original copy after trying the game out with a shared key, can I use the key of that game? Or am I stuck with the shared key once I insert it?

Also, about the character not getting backups, does the character save on the VMU? If so I heard I can backup the files inside the VMU to keep them safe.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#8 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Characters are tied to your serials. You have to start over with new characters if you change your serials.

Your character always saves to the VMU, but you can't use the automatic server-side backups without registering. You can still make local backups if you have the required homebrew or enough spare VMUs to clone your characters.
"Fear the HUnewearl."