Future Sega console names?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Future Sega console names?

Post#1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:05 pm

I know there probably will never be another Sega console after the Dreamcast, but let's have some fun; what would be a good name for a new Sega console? Because let's face it, they wouldn't call it the Dreamcast 2. :roll:

Here's some of my ideas (which are all alliterations):

1. Sega Spectrum
2. Sega Silicon
3. Sega Spartan (wait this is being used for another console project srry)

So yeah. Feel free to leave your suggestions below!

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Re: Future Sega console names?

Post#2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Dreamcast One

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Dreamcast one

SomeGuyWithASega
photon blast

Post#4 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:02 am

:lol:

I had a feeling that someone would riff on Microsoft, but they deserve it for such an oddball name. What were they thinking?

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:47 am

It's actually an interesting topic why didn't SEGA (or Nintendo for that matter) just chose 1 name and slapped a new number after the name for each console generation. From a business and brand standpoint it's kinda stupid to always go with a totally new name, since they have to build brand recognition every time.

Someone who knows what a SEGA Mega Drive is might not know what a SEGA Saturn is (I mean it's kinda logical but still not 100% obvious), while someone who knows what a Playstation is, probably could easily guess that the Playstation 2 is the 'next version' of it.

Roel
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:53 am

Well, I do remember a Master System II and a Mega Drive 2. So I guess they just didn't think far enough ahead and ended up having to change the name because they'd already used up the "2".

I remember that long before the 32X and Saturn were even announced, there were rumours of SEGA working on the "Giga Drive", but I'm glad they didn't actually go with that name. It doesn't sound quite as good, and the further you progress, the sillier it sounds. I just can't see a "Yotta Drive" having any success as a game console.

The fact that they released it as "Genesis" in the US didn't help either, of course. That would have made the Dreamcast the "SEGA Leviticus". :D

I somehow doubt "NES 2" would have inspired the same desire in nineties kids as the "Super NES" did. Mega Drive was already an established name by then, and Nintendo knew it. They needed a name that sounded just as powerful. But of course it presented the same problem when naming their next console. There isn't really a step above super (which in itself already literally means "over" or "above").

The Wii was sometimes mockingly called "GameCube 2" because it was basically the same hardware with a few upgrades. And the last time Nintendo did try to stick to their home console's brand name with "Wii U", it was a decision they came to regret.

I guess the only way to do it right is to do it from the very beginning and stick to it, and you've got to hand it to Sony, they did just that. People can already dream of a PlayStation 5 or 6 even today, while all the other brands' future console names are (almost) completely in the dark.

krssn
Metallic

Post#7 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:39 am

Sega Uranus.

At the very least it would give 'playing with Uranus' a whole new meaning...

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:46 am

'SEGA Something', whith the tagline/slogan: 'Why bother? It's gonna fail like the rest of our stuff.'

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Sega Europa

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#10 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:25 pm

Sega Neptune would be cool to me all though the saturn being not overly popular it would seam sticking with another planet as a name would not be a good idea.