DreamPi Wifi- Switching to Ethernet and other Issues

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Canisrufus
noob

DreamPi Wifi- Switching to Ethernet and other Issues

Post#1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:56 pm

Hi Everyone!
This is my first post on the forums, but I have been messing around with the DreamPi for the last month or so. I have the wifi version, and after following the directions I got it set up pretty easily. I got online with Q3, but the connection was really poor, so I figured it was a proximity thing. I now have the pi next to the router, and it is only slightly better. I have also tried Chu Chu and it always hangs on "dialing", I've never made it past that.
I figured the next logical step would be to hard wire it, but the Pi won't connect to the internet when I have the Ethernet cable plugged in.
I've made sure the DMZ is all set up and assigned the Pi a static address (another weird thing...it's assigned the .97, and that's what my router dashboard displays, but Q3 always says .98 after connecting). I've heard that wifi works just fine for most people, so I'm wondering about that situation as well.

Ultimately, I'm just excited to get online (reliably), so any advice would be appreciated! Thank you! :D

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: DreamPi Wifi- Switching to Ethernet and other Issues

Post#2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:07 am

Did you put in a Line Voltage Inducer? If so did you build it yourself or buy it from someone/somewhere?

Also what modem are you using?

I'm not much help but the more knowledgeable guys here will need that info first, as the Pi itself is not likely to be a problem.

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:40 am

I built a bunch of LVIs recently and noticed that the connection on 2 of them was worse than the rest, Burn a copy of Alien Front Online. When you connect online with AFO it tells you what the connection speed is that you are achieving. Top speed with the Pi is 33600.

Try that and let us know what baud rate you are connecting at.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:27 am

A few things things:

First off, in order to use Ethernet, you'll need to disable Wi-Fi in the Wi-Fi configuration wizard. There's a bug in DreamPi that will sometimes prevent you from getting the second light on the modem when you're using both connections.

Second, the Pi and the Dreamcast have two different IPs. The IP you see when you connect with Quake is the IP of the Dreamcast (which is set statically to .98). You want to DMZ the Dreamcast's IP, not the Pi's IP.

Third, the issue with ChuChu Rocket! sounds like a bad disc. No connection issue would cause it to freeze.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Canisrufus
noob

Post#5 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:18 pm

First of all, thank you all for your help :D

To answer a few questions--I am using the integrated LVI that came with the dreamPI. Thanks to pcwzrd13, i have been able to install the wifi config utility and turn off WiFi, and have successfully connected to the network with an Ethernet cable.

Unfortunately, it has not seemed to have an effect on my Q3 connection strength. Despite sometimes seeing green for "Speed", it's so slow that it often pauses for "connection interrupted". I'm still working on finding a good way to mount an AFO disc to get more specific data, but I just wanted to pass along these updates.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#6 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Canisrufus wrote:Unfortunately, it has not seemed to have an effect on my Q3 connection strength. Despite sometimes seeing green for "Speed", it's so slow that it often pauses for "connection interrupted".

It sounds like the issue is either with the Dreamcast modem or the USB modem. If you think it's the USB modem, you can send it to me for testing. If it's faulty I'll either fix it or send you a new one.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

1nick9
Anarki

Post#7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:37 pm

first thing i noticed as problem is the dmz address. the dreampi does 2x ips. one the dreampi the other the dc. u wanna dmz the dc ip. its not physically connected to router via mac routing so if its a router that does all routing off mac instead of ip (like mine did so couldnt forward to the dc ip without poping a router in line that did).

so yeah set ya dmz to the ip q3 reports, not the dreampi ip listed in router.

1nick9
Anarki

Post#8 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

still shouldnt effect q3 as doesnt require open ports. but is something wrong with ya config