Light Guns and Trinitron question

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Light Guns and Trinitron question

Post#1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 am

Hi there,
I have:
-PAL Dreamcast, soft modded to 60Hz PAL
-PAL copy of The House of The Dead 2
-PAL light Guns x2
-Sony Flatscreen CRT Triniton (SD version)

The game loads fine but unable to use of calibrate either of the light guns. Does anyone have an experience with this? My thinking is that it may be because my DC is set to 60Hz and not 50Hz. Before I take the DC apart and change the frequency, does anyone know if this is the issue? I really hate all things 50Hz and would hate to think that I cant force my DC to play all my games at 60Hz just to play 1 light gun game.

Or... Is there a way to make PAL light guns work with NTSC version of the house of the dead?

Any help would be great.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Light Guns and Trinitron question

Post#2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am

Check your TV specs, I have a sneaky suspicion it's a 100Hz model. To use light-guns on a 100Hz CRT you need to resort to specific light-guns that have 100Hz support. I'm not sure if the Dreamcast ever got such guns though, but if my memory serves me right you might be able to have some luck with one of the Dragoncast "Bio" light-guns!

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:56 am

I think the Sega brand light gun is region specific and may not work with 60hz. I've seen that on here somewhere.

But I could be wrong.

krssn
Metallic

Post#4 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am

Turn your brightness up to the max and play with your contrast and colors.

If it's not a 100Hz screen it'll pick up the signal eventually.

After calibration you can turn the brightness back down. The gun will still register.

Bring
dark night

Post#5 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 am

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:I think the Sega brand light gun is region specific and may not work with 60hz. I've seen that on here somewhere.

But I could be wrong.

Dreamcast light guns are Not region locked and work at both 50 & 60hz. Sega of America forced Software writers to disable the use of the official light gun on ntsc u versions of games, but as far as I am aware unofficial light guns work (MadCatZ).

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#6 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:30 am

krssn wrote:Turn your brightness up to the max and play with your contrast and colors.

If it's not a 100Hz screen it'll pick up the signal eventually.

After calibration you can turn the brightness back down. The gun will still register.

Thank you so much! Adjusting the brightness worked! Ive saved a color profile on the trinitron just for HOTD2 so I can instantly change back after playing it.

Thank you everyone
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#7 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 am

Bring wrote:Dreamcast light guns are Not region locked and work at both 50 & 60hz. Sega of America forced Software writers to disable the use of the official light gun on ntsc u versions of games, but as far as I am aware unofficial light guns work (MadCatZ).

I knew something was up with them. That sucks as light guns are fun.

Bring
dark night

Post#8 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 am

The-Amazing-Mr_V wrote:I knew something was up with them. That sucks as light guns are fun.

Yes they are. Hopefully someone will release a light gun compatable with lcd tv {Shouts} "Retrobit".

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#9 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 am

In theory, someone has released a light gun that does. They mod the original Sega lightgun to be wireless and work with LCD TV's. Below is a link to an unboxing of one of them. They do cost a pretty penny though. I think Chris was asking around $175 (includes shipping and the added parts to make it all work).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-seVJY-ij_0

WingMantis
dark night

Post#10 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Sega1Dream wrote:In theory, someone has released a light gun that does. They mod the original Sega lightgun to be wireless and work with LCD TV's. Below is a link to an unboxing of one of them. They do cost a pretty penny though. I think Chris was asking around $175 (includes shipping and the added parts to make it all work).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-seVJY-ij_0

Someone is working on an open source box that will work with any older system. Look up LCDZapper on github, project run by charcole. He will be producing and selling boxes eventually.