Can i fix the dreamcast spin motor?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MegaSonicX5
noob

Can i fix the dreamcast spin motor?

Post#1 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Well i'm new to this forum and i'm having problems with my dreamcast. The motor that spins the disc just does'nt spin, i don't know if i messed it up because before that it was spinning forever, as long as the dreamcast was powered on it would continue spinning (and it was not the switch sensor problem because the laser stood still until i closed the lid). So i want to ask anyone that reads this if i can fix it, or replace it.

Update: I guess i killed my dreamcast, the motor still works with a battery but i does'nt on the dreamcast. Which "thing" is responsible for spinning the disc in the right speed?

MegaSonicX5
noob

Re: Can i fix the dreamcast spin motor?

Post#2 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:17 am

I really need help pls!

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#3 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Im guessing you have tried removing the disc drive sand reseating the connector?

I would recommend dismantling everything, cleaning it and putting it all back together. Make sure he power supply board is making good contact with the motherboard
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

MegaSonicX5
noob

Post#4 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Anonymouse wrote:Im guessing you have tried removing the disc drive sand reseating the connector?

I would recommend dismantling everything, cleaning it and putting it all back together. Make sure he power supply board is making good contact with the motherboard

Thanks for the reply, i did this over 3 times and everything seems fine, the reader moves normally and the laser turns on too, and the dreamcast bios also looks fine but the motor does'nt spin. Also i don't have a multimeter (as i think that would help).

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#5 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:04 am

MegaSonicX5 wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:Im guessing you have tried removing the disc drive sand reseating the connector?

Thanks for the reply, i did this over 3 times and everything seems fine, the reader moves normally and the laser turns on too, and the dreamcast bios also looks fine but the motor does'nt spin. Also i don't have a multimeter (as i think that would help).

It may be an issue with the 'lid open' toggle switch. I have had a dreamcast that did this to me in the past. Here is how to test it; remove the top cover of the dreamcast. Plug it back in and put a CD on top. Wait until you get to the Dreamcast menu. Pull the small black lever down at the back to make the Dreamcast think the lid is being shut. If it is working you should get a brief message on the screen and the disc starts to spin. If it does not; ensure the disc auto loading is not turned off and wiggle the switch until you see some movement. If it is found that the toggle switch is the issue, spray some contact cleaner in it and it will probably be fine.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

MegaSonicX5
noob

Post#6 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:10 am

Already did this, dreamcast telling to wait, laser trying to read the disc, no disc spinning. And as i said before, the motor still works, the problem started when i was playing a cd-r game then the music started to get messy, and the loadings were taking much time, so i opened the dreamcast and the disc would'nt stop spinning even with the lever not pulled, so i did what you said before and it just does'nt spin now.