Please help me get online with Alien Front Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stereopathic
shadow

Please help me get online with Alien Front Online

Post#1 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Hey guys.

What's happening is that I can join or create a game but almost immediately get a message saying I'm experiencing connection issues. Within seconds I'm logged off completely with a message saying I lost connection to the server. I've tried searching for similar topics and trying the solutions suggested but I'm not having any luck, maybe because I have a different issue or maybe because I'm not doing it right. Could you help me out so I can get online and play with y'all?

I'm running the DC into a LVI into the DreamPi into a wifi adapter, in case this matters.

Here's my router's WAN set-up page with DMZ settings. Am I doing this right?
https://i.imgur.com/5G2HJYP.jpg

This is the Port Forwarding page where I have no idea what I'm doing.
https://i.imgur.com/gEkQIdS.jpg

On the Port Forwarding page you can set up a custom service. This is what I did there trying to make it work.
https://i.imgur.com/lUOpXnu.jpg

Any help at all would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Please help me get online with Alien Front Online

Post#2 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:39 pm

port forward OR DMZ.. not both...

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:10 pm

If you have any way to go wired, that would eliminate some variables and make troubleshooting easier.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

stereopathic
shadow

Post#4 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Okay, I've tried DMZ and Port Forwarding individually. I'm getting the same error. Again, I'm not sure if I even have my settings correct.

And cool, I'll move a satellite over there so I can wire it.

Sega1Dream
Donated

Post#5 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:23 am

So for me, I DMZ the .98 address to get AFO to work. Also, I changed my DHCP pool to excluded .98 and .99, since both are used for the Dreamcast. This way I know no other devices take up those IP addresses.

It took me awhile to get it to work, because I had port forward my ISP public address from their gateway, into my router. You want avoid having a switch go into a switch. Have your WiFi dreampi connected to the "main" router that has the public IP.

You should be able to get it, and be able to save (or defete) the human race soon again. :)

stereopathic
shadow

Post#6 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Okay, I'll try hooking up my DC directly to the main router (and not the adapter or satellite which is what I think you're saying). Would someone please have a look at my settings and tell me if I've got them set right? Forgive my ignorance but I don't know enough to know if I do.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Saw your pics, looks pretty good! ..did you connect to Quake 3? When done it tells you your Dreamcast's IP briefly so you DMZ it

I know nowhere in my router page picks that up possibly not anyone's

Simplebit
shadow

Post#8 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 am

just note 7980 is for UDP not TCP, why no selection on your router to select UDP or TCP or BOTH

Snap2.jpg

stereopathic
shadow

Post#9 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 pm

@mistamontiel Thanks for taking a look! When I pop in Quake it says my DC's IP is 192.168.1.98. Also, when the DC is online, that same IP will pop up in the list of currently attached devices that's there in the third pic.

@Simplebit In that third image is a section where I can create a custom service to port forward. That's where I can select UDP or TCP or TCP/UDP from a drop-down menu. There's a field for service name where I typed out Alien Front Online. Should it be AFO like yours? Or does it matter?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#10 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Also, if you have multiple devices, do the port forwarding on the device that gets the public IP only. I've seen people try to do port forwarding hopping from device to device setting it up in a chain - not necessary and doesnt work.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast