What do you think about a port of SLIPSTREAM?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

What do you think about a port of SLIPSTREAM?

Post#1 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:35 am

The other day an indie game came out on STEAM.
SLIPSTREAM is a great attempt at Outrun, but goes far beyond. Its a pretty cool game.

I posted the question on the the game's discussion board, the developer has not said anything yet...
So how would you welcome a possible Dreamcast port?
I would buy it for sure, since the genre is severely lacking.

I have no idea if the developer has the resource to tackle the DC, for now this is just a thought experiment :P

BloodBrother
core

Re: What do you think about a port of SLIPSTREAM?

Post#2 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:19 am

That is very nice to look at, im not that big on racing games, but id snag that up.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS A LIE.

If you want it, come and take it from me. If you think you can, you still dont know me.

Caspian
core

Post#3 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:40 am

Personally I do not see how a port of a dated racing game would be a worthwhile addition to the Dreamcast. The console already has many noteable racing games for casual gaming.

Roel
Developer

Post#4 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:15 am

I think it's a mistake to equate this particular racing game to any of the ones currently available on the Dreamcast. The style, atmosphere and most importantly gameplay are all of a sort that I personally feel would be unique and welcome additions to the DC's library.

I'm not impressed with the track layouts, but even so I could see myself enjoying this game.

I can see some technical challenges in porting it, though. Most notably, getting the DC to adequately handle such a large number of overlapping sprites.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#5 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:44 am

Well, i was referring to the indie titles from recent years being mostly smups (and RRRR is top down). Some optimizations should be done obviously, reducing the number of sprites wouldn't hurt the game i think, in fact it might look better with half of the sprites (personal opinion). Roel you're the most experienced (active) DC indie dev... so if ever the developer enters the conversation you could give him a pointer or two ;)

and without any reason i plug a little experiment that i'm doing myself
Last edited by segata sanshiro on Tue May 29, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roel
Developer

Post#6 » Tue May 29, 2018 12:55 pm

segata sanshiro wrote:and without any reason i plug a little experiment that i'm doing myself

Image Image Image

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#7 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:08 pm

I bought Moto RKD Dash on Steam. It's already a "finished" game... so a pre-alpha means... hmm...

Personally, I'm all for Slipstream being ported to the Dreamcast. I already want to buy it on Steam, so why not? After all, Bangai-O! was already good at handling a ton of on-screen sprites at once and tracking off-screen objects as well. I'm sure nearly two decades of additional Dreamcast game-dev research can see a game with a high number of sprites work well.

Hell, while we are at it, let's get a port of Slipstream 5000 too! ;-)

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#8 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 pm

The screen shots look nice. It would make a nice addition to the DC
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Roel
Developer

Post#9 » Wed May 30, 2018 12:39 am

Nz17 wrote:After all, Bangai-O! was already good at handling a ton of on-screen sprites at once and tracking off-screen objects as well. I'm sure nearly two decades of additional Dreamcast game-dev research can see a game with a high number of sprites work well.

Object tracking is no issue here. That should require only minimal processing power for a game like Slipstream.

However... Bangai-O's sprites are generally very tiny. There is a relatively small amount of overlap. Slipstream's sprites reach sizes beyond the height of the screen, and from the videos I get the impression that there are enough of them to fill the screen several times over. That's usually a fast route to hitting the GPU's limits.

I'm not saying it's necessarily a problem, though. In fact, I think Slipstream is well within the range of the Dreamcast's capabilities. But depending on the current implementation, it may require some concessions and/or optimisations.

segata sanshiro
Cracked LCD

Post#10 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:42 am

Nz17 wrote:I bought Moto RKD Dash on Steam. It's already a "finished" game... so a pre-alpha means... hmm...

Thanks man, i hope you enjoyed it at least a tiny bit :P The story with the 'prealpha' game you see above is that it was originally going to be yet another game mode in Dash (besides the LCD one), but in middle of development i broke the code of the original dash in a way that i couldn't fix it easily... Then friends tried convincing me to make it into its own game. As of now i don't know if it will be worth the time investment, since i dont have any money and need to complete something good. Im now creating a little world that exists under the bed cover where tiny creatures race around.

Then again i'm hijacking the topic to show off... not on purpose, sorry :P
Back to SLIPSTREAM