Unreal Tournament - Status

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

1nick9
Anarki

Re: Unreal Tournament - Status

Post#91 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:16 am

the way this is progressing nearly makes me think its simpler to make our own port of ut....... btw im no coder

1nick9
Anarki

Post#92 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:36 am

reason i say that is i figure the ut is very server end heavy with resources etc so hence there hasn't been a reversal of the code like a lot of other games that are mostly p2p off the game n just require the lobby. reversing the unique server assists be very difficult. hence the need n want for the original server code to port to new servers........

that's reason why i nearly think its simpler for a skilled coder to just port the game in its completion so take away the guess work between fixed asset types needed by engine.

that is of course assuming we don't get lucky n get the old server code..

once again i'm no skilled programmer so don't have the skills to do it so not an attack on ppl cause i think they should just seems like more realist step if server code is never retrieved.

Xiden
Developer

Post#93 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am

Its mostly going to come down to having to swap out asset references in the server code. Shu got pretty far in the connection process I believe awhile back. But ultimately seems like new custom server code will be needed. And since UT for DC is optimized that would be the preferred version. However it will likely be awhile before we see further development on this due to other projects. Best bet to getting it back sooner would be if the original developers could locate the server code for us :)

Wilco
lithium

Post#94 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:06 pm

Exactly.

-drez01- wrote:Image
Kid With The Play

Upgrayedd
noob

Post#95 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:15 am

Still holding out with fingers crossed.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#96 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 am

There are two topics on this board that always make me excited and then let down when I see them bumped. This one, and the one about Slave (which I have been responsible for those bumps.)

Where is our slave update anyways....

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#97 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:13 am

UT pc works just fine :? 8-) :o
Italian Stallion

Xiden
Developer

Post#98 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:46 pm

Mechanic wrote:UT pc works just fine :? 8-) :o

So does quake pc :P but its not the same :( :( unless u get a dc controller to usb for pc haha :P

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#99 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:32 am

Xiden wrote:

So does quake pc :P but its not the same :( :( unless u get a dc controller to usb for pc haha :P

True it isnt the same. It's nice to just pop a game in without dealing with which version i need , what windows and drivers to use or what downloads i need to connect to a server. Consoles make it plug and play. Isnt there any orginal seganet game developers around here that can pitch in on the UT resurrection?.
Italian Stallion

Xiden
Developer

Post#100 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:55 am

Mechanic wrote:
Xiden wrote:

True it isnt the same. It's nice to just pop a game in without dealing with which version i need , what windows and drivers to use or what downloads i need to connect to a server. Consoles make it plug and play. Isnt there any orginal seganet game developers around here that can pitch in on the UT resurrection?.

I bet Shu could reverse engineer a new server, but doing so would probably be quite a bit of work due to the nature of the game using a standalone server software like quake instead of p2p.(At least that's my understanding). It would be faster to do other games first I'm sure, and hope for a possible discovery of sever code in the meantime.