Dreamcast shuts off with disc drive plugged in

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Tealmann
noob

Dreamcast shuts off with disc drive plugged in

Post#1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm

I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a while, my Dreamcast instantly turns off and refuses to turn on for a couple minutes when I turn it on. If I take out the disk drive, it works fine. It also works with a drive from another system.
I've taken the drive apart, and it still doesn't work with just the drive board in, so I think that's the issue, but I don't know whats wrong with it.
Attachments
IMG_20180920_1804152.jpg
IMG_20180920_1804252.jpg

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: Dreamcast shuts off with disc drive plugged in

Post#2 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:44 am

Is this drive from a system you got recently, or is it from a system that worked fine until now and it only started doing this recently?

Also, just out of curiosity: does this drive behave like this if you put it in other systems as well, or only in that 1 console?

Tealmann
noob

Post#3 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 am

I got it not working
When I put it in another console it has the same problems

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:29 am

Is the gd-rom board the same design/revision as your other gd-rom boards? There was a version that used 3.3v, and there was another that used 5v, I was told they are not interchangeable (or at least it's not recommended due to the difference in voltage).

The 3.3v versions is easy to recognise as it's written on the top of the gd-rom metal case while the 5v doesn't say anything aboult voltage. This thread has pictures of both versions: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 42&t=10104

Or if you look at the PCBs themselves, they have quite a different layout.

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:31 pm

Tarnish wrote:Is the gd-rom board the same design/revision as your other gd-rom boards? There was a version that used 3.3v, and there was another that used 5v, I was told they are not interchangeable (or at least it's not recommended due to the difference in voltage).

The 3.3v versions is easy to recognise as it's written on the top of the gd-rom metal case while the 5v doesn't say anything aboult voltage. This thread has pictures of both versions: https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 42&t=10104

Or if you look at the PCBs themselves, they have quite a different layout.

You mean the last model? If yes, that drive is physically not compatible with the previous models if I'm not mistaken...

Tealmann
noob

Post#6 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:56 pm

They both say 3.3, so unless for some reason someone swapped out the shells I doubt it's an issue

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:05 pm

If all the gd-rom boards are the same revision, then sadly that's where my knowledge ends. I also have GD-rom boards that act weird, like one for example starts spinning the disc backward instead of stopping it when you open the lid.

Someone once posted this picture regarding the issue, maybe it's somewhat of a help:
27655094_10208817993647493_2301029548629431194_n.jpg

I assume at the top (12V in, 5V out arrows) that would be a voltage regulator that can go bad over time, tho I'm just guessing here.

TheRealAnubis
noob

Post#8 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:33 pm

This could tie in with my problem of someone switching a laser from VA0 or VA2 into your system - read my post in "GD ROM Drive versions".

https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10104&p=118072#p118072