Random Reset PLEASE HELP

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

CattDuarte25
noob

Random Reset PLEASE HELP

Post#1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Okay so I while ago I tried getting back into the Dreamcast but as I was playing it, the system would reset at random moments. It could be after a couple of minutes or after a half hour. When it resets, it goes back to the logo screen with the bouncing ball to swirl animation.
My girlfriend was awesome enough to find me a used Dreamcast at a thrift store (which never happens for me) after she knew I had this problem but this second Dreamcast I had also suffered from random resets but this system would go to the screen that would load if no disk was inserted. This also reset at random times much like the first Dreamcast.

Can someone please help me find a solution? I've already tried cleaning the pins inside the system but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Also I live in Greensboro, NC in case anyone knows a place nearby that I can take them to get repaired. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Random Reset PLEASE HELP

Post#2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:38 am

It sounds like the PSU pins aren't making contact, which is a common problem. When the DC has been on for a while and heats up, the pins move away from the contacts, and the system shuts off. Most people bend the pins slightly to force them to make better contact, and that fixes it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 am

Occurred to me too n I just bent back as NSTC er up-frontwards for PAL units

Even if you've never soldered pcwrd's tutorial will make a magician out of anyone yet just the contacts must be made beefy after decades of years =}

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:32 pm

interesting...mine seems to do this too...but only with nfl2k2 when i play online...not every time...did it more when playing wireless