Custom maps for Q3A - 2024 Release finally incoming!

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Custom maps for Q3A, looking for betatesters

Post#31 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:45 pm

I liked the Counter Strike Dust map! Nice work moi.

moi
blackout!

Post#32 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I liked the Counter Strike Dust map! Nice work moi.

Thanks, Anthony! I've been trying to port maps that are untypical for Q3 visually and gameplay wise indeed.

moi
blackout!

Post#33 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:50 pm

@pcwzrd13 having read your tweet about the custom maps - feel free to release my old files. I'm gonna search my old backups for more recent versions and more impressive maps.
The scene has evolved so much compared to back then with all those fan translations and game hacks so there might be some talented people who'd like to take over the project.
I for my part lack the free time and resources to deliver similar quality of today's releases, such as the Rent The Hero translation.
Also lots of hardware limits both pc and dc from back then are long eliminated thanks to DreamPi, DreamShell, GDEMU, recent dc emulators, the dual stick controller adaptors etc, lack of which made the testing a lot more difficult back when i started. Recent times seem to have the most activity by the most talented people, so I'd love seeing somebody jump in and polish the project.

I'm going to dig out old PMs I've been having with Impulse for additional information I gathered over the years.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#34 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:55 pm

moi wrote:@pcwzrd13 having read your tweet about the custom maps - feel free to release my old files. I'm gonna search my old backups for more recent versions and more impressive maps.

Oh cool man! I don't actually have any of your raw files. I only have a burned copy of a custom build Impulse sent me years ago. But yeah, it'd be awesome if you could just release it as is. Even in an unfinished form, I'm sure there are plenty of talented individuals that could polish it up. :)
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Post#35 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:22 pm

This is awesome

Holsten
brutal

Post#36 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:20 am

Would it possible to use that stuff for online play? We got a very active quake 3 online playerbase who would love to have a change of pace.
Holsten knallt am dollsten.

rjbr
lithium

Post#37 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:25 am

with this new maps project, it would be really cool to play online, it would attract more players

moi
blackout!

Post#38 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes the maps do indeed work online.

rjbr
lithium

Post#39 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:09 pm

how many new maps did you make?

who has dreamshell hd sata, will it work?

Impulse
Admin

Post#40 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:10 pm

moi wrote:@pcwzrd13 having read your tweet about the custom maps - feel free to release my old files. I'm gonna search my old backups for more recent versions and more impressive maps.
The scene has evolved so much compared to back then with all those fan translations and game hacks so there might be some talented people who'd like to take over the project.
I for my part lack the free time and resources to deliver similar quality of today's releases, such as the Rent The Hero translation.
Also lots of hardware limits both pc and dc from back then are long eliminated thanks to DreamPi, DreamShell, GDEMU, recent dc emulators, the dual stick controller adaptors etc, lack of which made the testing a lot more difficult back when i started. Recent times seem to have the most activity by the most talented people, so I'd love seeing somebody jump in and polish the project.

I'm going to dig out old PMs I've been having with Impulse for additional information I gathered over the years.

Hey moi! I totally understand the lack of free time. I remember us talking and you said I could go ahead and setup a server with the maps you converted. I never got around to doing this so it's my fault that your work hasn't been incorporated in the online q3 realm. I've been out of the loop for a while.

I have the files backed up somewhere if you need them.

There's one problem using the maps online. I could not get the server to recognize a non standard map rotation. It tried editing the server to use the different map names. Just kept crashing. So the trick is to jump on the server with everyone who's going to play (using modified iso) and then manually change maps with the command. Nobody will be able to join after that. I'm sure there is a way around this. Someone smarter than me could figure it out. Maybe rename the modified maps you want to use to the regular map names? I can't remember if I tried that.

All this talk makes me want to get it up and running. All we have to do is share the iso with whoever wants to play. I could spin the server up for quake night.
-Impulse