Long time player, first time online-r

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Claeris
lithium

Long time player, first time online-r

Post#1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:56 am

Hi! My name's Claire and I have an extensive history with the Dreamcast. I got myself a DreamPi and set it up today so I'm ready to fulfill those teenage dreams I couldn't because my mom didn't want to pay for the sega net service. I'm waiting on some blank cd's to show up so I can get the workaround for PSOv2 to work, but I'm excited to be able to play that with a group. I bought a brand new sealed copy just for this! I also have (and am terrible at) Chu Chu Rocket, and I work at a retro game store with a bunch of the other online games available like Ooga Booga. I also have quake 3 but... I'm not too great with shooters and the default controls are horrible so I don't know if I'm quite ready for that online. I do have a keyboard on the way, at least.

I'm very interested in the DLC for games and browsing the old sites so I'd love it if someone knew whether or not I could just download the archive (I have one for rayman 2 and sonic adventure) and pop it on the pi's SD card and somehow 'dial' to the folder. If anyone could tell me how to do that or if it's even possible, I'd appreciate it.

At my game store, I've been promoting the DreamPi and highlighting some of the online games we have in stock and I've had a few takers. We have a lounge set up and do game nights tuesdays and fridays and we've been tossing around the idea of setting up a few dreamcasts with pi's and joining the group here online for something. Lots of hardware involved, but it would be a blast!

I also used to be into the game journalism and twitch streaming scenes so that might be something to showcase this site on someday. At the very least, I'll be streaming one of the group nights for PSO or something. I want to get the word out there. 6 billion's the goal, right? =D

Sega1Dream
Donated

Re: Long time player, first time online-r

Post#2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Welcome to the community Claire. Glad you were able to find us and join the online fun! That sounds pretty neat to have a Dreamcast play area in the game store. Let's people really experience the old school way online games were made... Fun and (somewhat) free. :)

Sega RPG

Post#3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 am

welcome, hope to see you online soon, even if i don't know if time will coincide (i play mostly european time)

and yeah it's fantastic you make people play with the dc, so they know what they are missing :)

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Claeris, welcome. i think if you just want to browse the sites you can do that once your dreampi and web browser are configured. i dont know how many sites are still operational but i know some have been brought back to life, doesnt hurt to just check them and see once your online.

heres a link to the backups if you didnt know about them https://www.dreamcastlive.net/website-backups.

the fps games are much better with a mouse and keyboard so i would recommend getting a mouse with that keyboard you have on the way, but you dont need it if you dont want it. the keyboard is more important anyway if you like to chat while gaming, like in PSO. Maximum Pool is a game i would recommend if you havent considered it, seems like plenty of people like it and it is actually a fun game with lots of modes.

i love the idea of the dreamcast game night, hope you follow through with it!

if you run into problems dont be scared to ask for help in the main page chat, post in the forum or stop by the discord: https://discord.gg/ZzyQB7r

Sega RPG

Post#5 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm

well honestly gaming is fun but a kb is essential because even chatting is at the core of the community, personally speaking i like some good chat as if you were people i see in real life because the dc community to me is all about being friendly...

oh and fps are better played with a twin stick :p

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#6 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:51 pm

not the fishing rod @247?

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:41 am

Welcome to the club. Any questions you may have, please feel free to ask. We always do our best to help out. Max Pool is nice because it is one of the few laid back games. It really feels like you are in a pool hall. The tables and game mods make it even more fun although traditional games exist as well.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Sega RPG

Post#8 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:34 am

poopidoop wrote:not the fishing rod @247?

never tried, but i was not joking, the twin stick actually works and it's even quite good, while the fishing rod is just for some extravaganza we can say...

Claeris
lithium

Post#9 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:43 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I've been collecting more and more online games but thing is, I'm brand new to all of them. Even PSO. I logged into that the other night because I saw people on and learned that I really should wait for that keyboard to show up, and that I should struggle through some solo stuff before trying to play with people. The novelty of playing PSO on my dreamcast online with someone who was playing on a gamecube, all in 2019, is just mindblowing to me. With all the new games I'm getting, it really feels just like jumping into the Dreamcast for the first time, all those years ago. Now I just need to hone my skills and watch the schedule! Hope to see you all online!

Claeris
lithium

Post#10 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:48 am

OH! And the game store's lounge is pretty sweet. I rearranged it all so that certain tvs have certain systems and couches set up, and the floor Dreamcast is at the end with its own dedicated CRT and really comfy chair. We host bi-weekly 'tournament' events and our second ever was centered around power stone 2 because we happened to have a copy. One of the players came back the next morning and bought it. $110! None of our regulars or even the owner had ever played it before, just me lol.

Come August, I'm going to heavily advertise a Dreamcast night: For the 20th anniversary, it'll be all day free play on every tv (as equipement allows) with at least my own dreampi set up for some online play. I hope you guys are planning to party online that night because we're gonna party like it's 9-9-99! It's gonna be the bomb. All that and a bag of chips. If any of you are in the Seattle area, my store is in Silverdale and I welcome the company, if only for the dreamcast conversations.