Portforwarding and DMZ issues

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

kalets
shadow

Portforwarding and DMZ issues

Post#1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:11 pm

Hi, i've been trying to connect my dreamcast to play online, but everytime I try planet ring all the "tables" are full, I can't get invites in NBA 2K2, and Alien Front Online losses conection when you are choosing your tank. I know from dreamcastlive.net guides that you need to open certain ports to solve all of this problems or just activate DMZ on your dreamcast IP, I have done both of those things and the issues persists and after many many tries this is giving me headaches... Side note, I can play some games just fine (For example POD or Quake)
I want to know what I'm doing wrong, by the way I have DreamPi version 1.7, the latest one as far as I know, with a homemade line voltage inducer and a Dell modem RD02-D400.
Thanks for the help.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Portforwarding and DMZ issues

Post#2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:31 am

kalets wrote:Hi, i've been trying to connect my dreamcast to play online, but everytime I try planet ring all the "tables" are full, I can't get invites in NBA 2K2, and Alien Front Online losses conection when you are choosing your tank. I know from dreamcastlive.net guides that you need to open certain ports to solve all of this problems or just activate DMZ on your dreamcast IP, I have done both of those things and the issues persists and after many many tries this is giving me headaches... Side note, I can play some games just fine (For example POD or Quake)
I want to know what I'm doing wrong, by the way I have DreamPi version 1.7, the latest one as far as I know, with a homemade line voltage inducer and a Dell modem RD02-D400.
Thanks for the help.

First things first are you dmzing the correct IP? Your dreamcast ip will end in .98 always. If you connect your dreamcast with quake 3, you will see your ip address display on the final step of connecting, that's the ip you must dmz.

So for me its 192.168.0.98.

kalets
shadow

Post#3 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:18 am

Hi Xiden! Yes I'm using the right IP (192.168.1.98) that's the one that Quake shows and I'm not portforwarding and DMZ at the same time (I've done both independently but neither worked...). I have a Linksys E900 with DD-WRT I don't know if that could cause trouble?

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 am

kalets wrote:Hi Xiden! Yes I'm using the right IP (192.168.1.98) that's the one that Quake shows and I'm not portforwarding and DMZ at the same time (I've done both independently but neither worked...). I have a Linksys E900 with DD-WRT I don't know if that could cause trouble?

Sounds like everything is correct. Is your dd-wrt firmware up to date? I read it can be buggy with dmz for some people. Maybe try port forwarding with the raspberry pi address and keep dreamcast dmzd. Is it possible for you to go back to standard linksys firmware?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#5 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:02 am

My Dreampi stopped working yesterday. It was my first time using it for over two months.
Unplug the Pi's power cable, wait twenty seconds and plug it back in. After it's loaded up you should be good to go.

kalets
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Xiden wrote: Sounds like everything is correct. Is your dd-wrt firmware up to date? I read it can be buggy with dmz for some people. Maybe try port forwarding with the raspberry pi address and keep dreamcast dmzd. Is it possible for you to go back to standard linksys firmware?

I've just finished updating dd-wrt firmware to the latest release, and I opened all the ports on both IPs
Anotación 2019-04-19 130523.png

I'm testing with Alien Front Online and I can get to start a match but after a few seconds it says "lost conection with server". Unfortunately I couldn't flash standard Linksys firmware...

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#7 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:38 pm

I had an old Linksys router that prevented me from connecting with even my BBA. I upgraded that 2001 tech with a 2012 Netgear. All is well.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#8 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 pm

A quick search shows that the E900 isn't exactly the best reviewed router around. Not sure if that's the cause of your issues though.

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 am

kalets wrote:
Xiden wrote: Sounds like everything is correct. Is your dd-wrt firmware up to date? I read it can be buggy with dmz for some people. Maybe try port forwarding with the raspberry pi address and keep dreamcast dmzd. Is it possible for you to go back to standard linksys firmware?

I've just finished updating dd-wrt firmware to the latest release, and I opened all the ports on both IPs
Anotación 2019-04-19 130523.png
I'm testing with Alien Front Online and I can get to start a match but after a few seconds it says "lost conection with server". Unfortunately I couldn't flash standard Linksys firmware...

Have u tried dmzing again too? Sounds like still a port fwd issue

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#10 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:09 am

kalets wrote:I've just finished updating dd-wrt firmware to the latest release, and I opened all the ports on both IPs

You can't forward the same port to two different IPs. You'll cause a conflict and it's not going to work at all. Only forward to the Dreamcast IP.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live