SLaVE

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: SLaVE

Post#271 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Corbyn wrote:
FlorreW wrote:The lack of information from the developers makes me wanna refund . I respekt thst it can taket a looooooooong time but not that they dont tell us whats happening.

Just hang tight. GOAT deserves the support, we do not, and I take full responsibility. I have been polishing the game for release in the next month, can’t say much more.

Hey long time no see my friend! How are things going for you? Will you have any news about Hypertension coming in the near future? Perhaps a video update about the current state of the project? I have been excited for that game for a very long time, and I am happy to say you made me a fan of Blood because of the first version of the project, before you were required to change the premise of the story up.

Also little side note: Night Dive Studios just released a new port of Blood on Steam which looks and runs amazing.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#272 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:49 am

Corbyn wrote:
Just hang tight. GOAT deserves the support, we do not, and I take full responsibility. I have been polishing the game for release in the next month, can’t say much more.

Are you planning to just release this game as a download at this point? I can't imagine that if you are "putting the finishing touches" on it, that it will be fully pressed, all the cases and materials printed/produced and shipped out to you/thegoatstore. Hoping for an update with more clarity in the future. good luck on your projects.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#273 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 am

For those of us that preordered, I hope it's not JUST a download.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#274 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:19 pm

No, I think she means that they are going to send the master over so the game can go gold. Nobody has released download only retails on DC to my knowledge, and I would think that is something the community might be sour about if it happened. I know many of us who own ODE's prefer to get a digital copy from the devs to use on our devices, but I don't know if the times will change and it become an option. I mean there is always a beginning for everything.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#275 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 am

Just wanting clarification on open source code release that was mentioned.

Is any part of the game gpl?

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#276 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:36 am

mrneo240 wrote:Just wanting clarification on open source code release that was mentioned.

Is any part of the game gpl?

Yes, the game's engine is GPL'd as it is a modified version of the DOOM game engine. The rest of the game is not. I have heard from the DC game's publisher that the engine's source code will be released in compliance with the GPL. Hopefully more games will be made for DC using this engine especially considering the multitude of polished DOOM tools that support modding, level creation, etc.

kazade
Developer

Post#277 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm

I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that if the engine is GPL, then any code linking to the engine (i.e the game code) must also be GPL.

LGPL is different in that respect.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#278 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:13 pm

I am not sure if this game is using the same engine as Hypertension which is running on hyper 3DGE which is also a Doom source port for the DC, but if it is, they said they were going to make the tools available so homebrew devs can make their own FPS games for the DC with it.

That engine can be found here.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/

Hypertension really pushes the Doom engine pretty far within reasonable limitations of the DC hardware, whereas SLaVE is highly stylized. Hypertension has also been in a decade long development cycle, but it is really going to be so worth it as they are a very small team working on these games.

Here are 2 trailers for that game, posted in 2014, and another video showing off stuff from 2015 but not posted online until much later. So if it is using the same engine as Hypertension, then they should release the tools as well especially if GPL. That is why it is such a huge deal for these games to get released.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#279 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:50 am

Anthony817 wrote:Hypertension really pushes the Doom engine pretty far within reasonable limitations of the DC hardware, whereas SLaVE is highly stylized. Hypertension has also been in a decade long development cycle, but it is really going to be so worth it as they are a very small team working on these games.

TBH I don't think Hypetension is targeting the dreamcast anymore. They have been asked before about it, but completely disregarded the question. It has been one of the projects I've been looking forward to the most however. So I am hoping it still is, it looks like a blast.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#280 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:41 pm

I requested a refund of my pre-order of SLaVE at 05/17/2019 08:36 P.M. and was issued my refund at 05/22/2019 05:56 P.M. Now as requested, I have a credit of $26.84 at the GOAT Store. If SLaVE really is published soon, then I might just use this credit to re-order it. Otherwise I'm going to order some already existing Dreamcast games, possibly ones that can be played online.

For now, though, I'm guessing that the publication day of SLaVE won't be too soon. As a matter of fact, if it is published this year, then I would say it would be more lucrative and fiscally prudent for GOAT, as the publisher, to publish the game on 09/09/19 to coincide with the (North American) 20th anniversary of the SEGA Dreamcast. It seems only fitting considering the game was announced during the 15th anniversary of the Dreamcast.

Return to “New Games”