Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Post#1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:17 am

I saw this on fb this morning. Josh Prod are making a brand new fully 3D game for DC! They mentioned they may do a KickStarter for it though, which sucks given how many of the end up dying. But JP have been pretty consistent with releases.

https://www.facebook.com/joshprod/videos/464458744359728/
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Post#2 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:26 am

Is this the 3d rally game showed off about a year ago? Somehow this seems slightly different. The one I saw was a mobile game that had unlicensed cars. This looks WAY better!

Sega RPG

Post#3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:52 am

seems quite good for being an homebrew, the only problems are the controls which seems very bad, hope the make the car slide like the sega rally...

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:01 am

Anthony817 wrote:Is this the 3d rally game showed off about a year ago? Somehow this seems slightly different. The one I saw was a mobile game that had unlicensed cars. This looks WAY better!

Well, it's definitely using the same track, just in the other direction:
JPO-01.jpg

JPN-01.jpg

JPO-02.jpg

JPN-02.jpg

They changed the car models, the skybox texture and the road barrier textures.

Which raises the question for me..is this gonna be a new game then, or just an existing game with a few things changed? Guess we'll see on their Kickstarter pitch.

If this new video is actually from running on DC hardware now, it's definitely already an improvement over 4x4 Jam which had quite the obvious pop-in.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:53 am

Seems likely that they’ll have to change all the licences vehicles...
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:08 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:Seems likely that they’ll have to change all the licences vehicles...

I'm curious what's the deal with licencing real cars. Because for example, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 1 and 2, had cars that were 100% obviously based on real cars, but none of them were licenced, so they just called them random names, and the car manufacturer logos were removed or altered, like instead of Mazda they had Madda.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#7 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Tarnish wrote:
If this new video is actually from running on DC hardware now, it's definitely already an improvement over 4x4 Jam which had quite the obvious pop-in.

I think you expect too much from the DC, especially homebrew. I remember before 4x4jam came out I was curious so I loaded it on jcpsp psp emulator because that one has the function to dump the scene geometry as a .obj model file. So I dumped it a couple times and I got around up to 33,000 polygons per frame. That's like dead or alive 2 dc territory. IAM not surprised they had to pull back the draw distance for the Dreamcast version considering the psp is a faster machine for pushing geometry and it was home brew.

This game is looking good for what it is.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:32 pm

Well color me cautiously skeptical with this one. While I welcome the thought of fully licensed cars, that shit ain't cheap to do. And for an indie DC title, that doesn't inspire confidence that they will be able to afford them. Not to mention all of the sponsors plastered around the track and on the paint of that Lancia.

I do hope they can do something special with this one, even if it is just a modded and rebranded mobile port. If they take it to kickstarter they may attract too much unwanted attention. But I am hopeful for this.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#9 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:45 pm

They definitely should drop the sponsor names, or just make knock-off versions.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:54 pm

i'm look 4x4 Jam with new models and name
is shit my freinds

modder how Anthony817 can make better game on already exist game engine