How can I convert from Audio/Data to Data/Data

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
ThatDudeHenrik
shadow

How can I convert from Audio/Data to Data/Data

Post#1 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 am

I recently bought a Japanese Dreamcast (NTSC-J). I checked the back of the console only to know that it was made in 2001, which means that it can't play games based on the MIL-CD exploit. So I when online and checked for some solutions. And according to my knowledge, I need to convert a rom from Audio/Data format to Data/Data format, and THEN burn it into a CD-R. The website that had the guide to do that was closed, idk why :(
So... How do you supposed to do it, exactly? And what program are you supposed to do it with?

P.S. I'm kinda new to this Dreamcast stuff so plz explain to me as understandable as possible :D

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Re: How can I convert from Audio/Data to Data/Data

Post#2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:40 am

Have you actually tried running homebrew software on your Dreamcast? From what I've read, the MIL-CD fix only applies to Dreamcasts made after a certain month in 2001 and even that isn't absolute. Just burn an ISO, CDI, or what-have-you of anything that's been confirmed to work with compatible Dreamcasts and try it. If it doesn't work at all, then let us know and I'll try to help you.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 pm

if i remember correctly, the first session data must be padded so that the 2nd session data starts at 45000 lba.

you can use this tool made by familyguy.
http://shenmuesubs.sourceforge.net/download/addons/Selfboot_DATA_Pack_v1.4_by_FamilyGuy.rar

keep in mind that .bin files will need to be hacked for 45000 lba
not always is it just 1st_read .bin, ip.bin. some games have multiple .bin files.

also wince games are hacked differently using bincon.

if the game already selfboots as 11702 lba audio/data then you will more than likely not need to use hack3, hack4, dahack etc. once you convert to 45000 lba data/data

here is a list of various dc protections for example:

https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/postp176046.html&sid=4f6076b94e141108d311ee1cd192464c

ThatDudeHenrik
shadow

Post#4 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:25 am

Nz17 wrote:Have you actually tried running homebrew software on your Dreamcast? From what I've read, the MIL-CD fix only applies to Dreamcasts made after a certain month in 2001 and even that isn't absolute. Just burn an ISO, CDI, or what-have-you of anything that's been confirmed to work with compatible Dreamcasts and try it. If it doesn't work at all, then let us know and I'll try to help you.

I have only used ImgBurn and DiscJuggler to burn CDIs from a website called "Replayers". And I've got no luck so far. I know that sometimes the laser inside the Dreamcast can be hit or miss to read burned games, but I don't wanna waste more money on blank CD-Rs just to test the laser, 'cuz Data/Data is the format that's supposed to be supported on ANY Dreamcast models. Also, I've found some of Sizious' and Xeal's(?) old tools to make these games bootable on my Dreamcast: bin2boot(Zeal's?); Bootmake and IMG4DC(both are Sizious'). Each of them comes with intructions but the problem is programs are sooo old now(2001) that I can't even make it run on my Laptop (bin2boot and IMG4DC). And to make it worse, compatibility mode doesn't work either.

ThatDudeHenrik
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 am

SMiTH wrote:if i remember correctly, the first session data must be padded so that the 2nd session data starts at 45000 lba.

you can use this tool made by familyguy.
http://shenmuesubs.sourceforge.net/download/addons/Selfboot_DATA_Pack_v1.4_by_FamilyGuy.rar

The link doesn't work anymore because it's too old. When I click on the link, it went straitup not responding on Microsoft Edge :(

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#6 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 am

That .rar link worked just fine for me using the Chromium Web browser. Perhaps try again or try using a different Web browser or computer.

With regards to your CD situation, have you considered buying an indie homebrew game release and seeing if it will run on your Dreamcast? That would verify if CD-R's or CD-ROM's will boot on your DC considering that CD's are the medium used by unofficial Dreamcast games and software. If so, then you can just use a CD-based boot disk to boot your "import" games.

ThatDudeHenrik
shadow

Post#7 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:16 am

Nz17 wrote:That .rar link worked just fine for me using the Chromium Web browser. Perhaps try again or try using a different Web browser or computer.

With regards to your CD situation, have you considered buying an indie homebrew game release and seeing if it will run on your Dreamcast? That would verify if CD-R's or CD-ROM's will boot on your DC considering that CD's are the medium used by unofficial Dreamcast games and software. If so, then you can just use a CD-based boot disk to boot your "import" games.

I didn't even know that they're selling physical copies of homebrew games. But right now I just couldn't by it. I'm from Viet Nam and it would be a rough trip to get that game from overseas.
Also, I couldn't even use the Utopia Boot Disc to boot my "import" games.