Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Arcade Racing Legend: new 3D racer from JoshProd

Post#21 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:28 am

Yeah Same engine but no clipping this time.

I don't what I can think about, if the game is fun, for me it's close to a "outrun". Reach the check point in time.

sgmx
dirty sailor

Post#22 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:10 am

Mobile game based, really...I was hoping it will finally be a real new game. I have resigned myself to the fact that i shouldn’t expect anything new from them except expensive ports, emulation etc.. at least if it was affordable for so few effort..
Frankly they’re abusing fans, I mean for that price how many better new and original indie games you can buy on the Xbox live for example..

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:18 am

I guess you don't really understand how hard it is developing games. In this case, it will be a highly modified game compared to what it originally was. It isn't JoshProd who MAKES games, he just has the money to pay other teams to PORT games to the Dreamcast. Porting is MUCH easier than making new games from scratch.

I am just happy we are getting a 3D game for DC, that is ported over with the official SDK and taking advantage of the hardware. You don't have to like how it is made or done, but you also don't have to play it. That is the beauty of choice. You can stick to playing 2D Neo Geo ports while others enjoy this game which actually shows off a whole new era of indie game graphics.

Also, the thing about porting already made games, is that the development team has already supported the brunt of development costs up front. So it makes way more sense economically for games to come over this way, from PSP and mobile, as game development isn't cheap or easy as you need dedicated teams to create a fully functional game.

I work on Battlefield 2 total conversion historical modifications, and while not as hard to make as a game from scratch, I do have game development experience from it, and it often times takes my team up to 2 or more years to finish a mod and get everything working. So in this case, I would much rather get ported and modified games in 3D, than none at all or only 2D Neo Geo ports every time.

sgmx
dirty sailor

Post#24 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Of course I understand how long and difficult it could be to create a new game, but this is actually what I want to support, hucast games, Orion games, Alice dreams tournament, leona, etc... are games that deserve it more.
Even though the games might not be as professional as sturmwind was, still I like to see something new and not just bringing old neo geo, Amiga games, or even mobile games to my favourite console..
And the ported games don’t take advantage of the hardware at all, there is absolutely 0 difference between breakers neo4all and the one that was released by joshprod, I was so disappointed..
If I really want to play neogeo ports on a console, the Xbox emulated them perfectly at full speed.
How many neo geo games they have ported.. and for 35€ really, and at that price I would at least expect a manual not printed in black and white. Sturmwind cost around 37, a reprint..while being at 18€ at play-asia, I don’t know if i’m the only one shocked here but well..

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#25 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:03 am

That is fair enough. While I do enjoy the 2D games very much too, these 3D games are few and far in between, and you might be able to count all 3D indie DC games ever sold on a single hand.

But it is just way more economically feasible to port 3D games, versus creating from nothing. A few 3D FPS games have been worked on over the years, but unfortunately none have come over to the system in indie retail form. Lets just hope more advanced games keep coming in some form or another.

I do wonder though, what would Bungee say to allowing a limited run of their Marathon trilogy, which was already ported, just had no controller inputs, only keyboard. Or if other companies would sign off on letting older FPS games come to the console from PC.

Positively Ralf
shadow

Post#26 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

So the JoshProd publishing team buys up licenses and contracts out to teams to port it over to the Dreamcast? How much money goes into that? I'm assuming it's contracted teams who are trying to get some work done to put on their resume.

I'm completely new to the independent scene and was wondering how it worked. Cause if it's that easy, I should get into doing that.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#27 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:29 pm

He just contacts teams he likes their games. It isn't to do anything too benefit the devs really, it is done to benefit the DC community.

What are you talking about getting into? Publishing games, or developing them for a publisher?

Positively Ralf
shadow

Post#28 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:45 pm

I have no programming skills, that's number one. That passion was lost almost a decade ago. But what I would like to do is try to acquire the rights to help port over games to the dreamcast, but in this case, at least with some enhancements. Putting together a team to do that though, I'd imagine would be hard. As for developing, I have ideas but would have to get a team to make it a reality.

The dreamcast and SNES are my favorite systems of all time. Gaming has always been a passion even though these days I can't do much of it due to starting a family. I would still love to be part of it in a bigger way.

Also helps that my parents both had businesses of their own. So I have that entrepreneur mindset.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#29 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:29 pm

I see, interesting. Well, you would definitely need capital to begin looking into doing something such as that. Many great indie PC games and possibly even older PC releases which are open sourced would be nice to see ports done to the system. Forsaken is a 6DOF shooter that just got a remaster. It also has the source code released, and would absolutely be a game from the era of the DC we would be very fortunate to see a commercial indie release of. Perhaps a deal could be made with Night Dive Studios to produce a limited run of the game? Or other companies that similarly own older games with open source code out there.

Positively Ralf
shadow

Post#30 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:04 pm

I know of the Forsaken Remaster and is one of the reasons why I want to do what I want to do. What you have shed light on is open sourced games. If my tech language is not off, that means the source code is readily available right? And that makes it easier to do changes for ports and remasters correct?

If that's so, is there a list floating around? I would love to see if any games are on there that I could tackle with my idea.

Thanks for giving me somewhere to start.