[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Xiden
Developer

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#211 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:42 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
Xiden wrote:
Greg2600 wrote:MNEMO responded today with a "special update" file, and started the DC with that on the USB and now games are loading again.

Awesome! If you dont mind and get a chance do you mind uploading that file to this thread? I can add it to the archive.

There it is. Honestly I'm looking to sell my USB-GDR DC and keep my GDEMU DC, so I wanted to have it up to date.

Do you know if D2 disc swap or game shark disc swap works on a GDEMU? Wondering if that was fixed

chingy213
noob

Post#212 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:51 am

Here is the file DR MNEMO sent me when i could not load GDI or CDI images... I think it was because i was using a hard drive and not USB rom drive.

Use 7zip to extract.
Attachments
GD_debug.7z
(646 Bytes) Downloaded 358 times

chingy213
noob

Post#213 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 am

And i got the firmware update to work.

1. used a 1gb usb drive from back in the day
2. format it as per requirement
3. copied the root files from his website
4. also copied usbgdbt.bin, USB-GD_fw_17-11-08.bin, USB-GDROM_fw_19-06-06.bin
5. installed fw 17-11-08 - worked
6. installed fw 19-06-06 - worked
7. put my portable HDD with all my games back and it worked fine.

so no brick for me.

Xiden
Developer

Post#214 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks for the contributions and updates guys!

tflpunk
noob

Post#215 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:22 am

Hi,

Long time lurker.

I had trouble running the firmware update to get the usb-gdrom up to the latest variant, so thought I’d post my findings on here as I couldn’t find anything on the web.

If you are on 17-05-30fw, you can’t jump to the 2018 or the latest 2019 fw. If you try it you end up in a bit of a boot loop.

The solution is to move to 17-11-08, then to the 2018 de, and finally to the latest 19-06-06 fw

I hope that helps someone.

Xiden
Developer

Post#216 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:22 am

tflpunk wrote:Hi,

Long time lurker.

I had trouble running the firmware update to get the usb-gdrom up to the latest variant, so thought I’d post my findings on here as I couldn’t find anything on the web.

If you are on 17-05-30fw, you can’t jump to the 2018 or the latest 2019 fw. If you try it you end up in a bit of a boot loop.

The solution is to move to 17-11-08, then to the 2018 de, and finally to the latest 19-06-06 fw

I hope that helps someone.

Indeed :) we need to add this info to our guide. Btw welcome to the forums!

Capone1423
shadow

Post#217 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Hey guys, hope you can help.

I was trying also to update on the latest Firmware. Currently im on 17-05-30, and I was trying to update to the 2018 Version, which i found at the Google drive under stable Version. Unfortunately it did't work, I always get a reboot and it will play Music. The same with the newes Firmware. I also tried the Special fix, which was posted. Do you have any ideas how to update to the latest Firmware? thanks

Xiden
Developer

Post#218 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Capone1423 wrote:Hey guys, hope you can help.

I was trying also to update on the latest Firmware. Currently im on 17-05-30, and I was trying to update to the 2018 Version, which i found at the Google drive under stable Version. Unfortunately it did't work, I always get a reboot and it will play Music. The same with the newes Firmware. I also tried the Special fix, which was posted. Do you have any ideas how to update to the latest Firmware? thanks

If your firmware is really old, you will need contact mnemo for a custom firmware update at [email protected]. Let him know what you have done so far too.

Capone1423
shadow

Post#219 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 am

Xiden wrote:
Capone1423 wrote:Hey guys, hope you can help.

If your firmware is really old, you will need contact mnemo for a custom firmware update at [email protected]. Let him know what you have done so far too.

Thanks, sent him an email, waiting for response.

Capone1423
shadow

Post#220 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:45 am

Unfortunately I didn’t get any feedback from Mnemo. Does anyone have any alternatives in fixing this and flashing the firmware. I want to get off the brick

Thanks