dreamcast software development contest idea for dreamcast-talk?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: dreamcast software development contest idea for dreamcast-talk?

Post#11 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:03 pm

if the community here got involved we could do many things.
think about monthly gaming contests for prizes too.
high scores, online rankings etc.
there could be many things going on to make this place more active.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:21 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:There is Half life quake port for quake 1 https://github.com/autonomous1/quakelife I have had it running on radquake all src is there my freind You could use many quake 1 engines even bero's or quakedc radquake nuquake other's as well all the hardware rendering quake 1 engines on dreamcast are 320x200 scaled to 640x480 res is still 320x200 for the textures i could be wrong but i dont think so

Wow is this it?

How does this differ from Xash3D? This looks nigh identical. This is incredible if we can get that level of detail running on a Quake Engine on DC.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#13 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 pm

try https://www.bountysource.com they have it all together. I am rooting for this project myself; https://www.bountysource.com/issues/780 ... rce=github

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:There is Half life quake port for quake 1 https://github.com/autonomous1/quakelife I have had it running on radquake all src is there my freind You could use many quake 1 engines even bero's or quakedc radquake nuquake other's as well all the hardware rendering quake 1 engines on dreamcast are 320x200 scaled to 640x480 res is still 320x200 for the textures i could be wrong but i dont think so

Wow is this it?

How does this differ from Xash3D? This looks nigh identical. This is incredible if we can get that level of detail running on a Quake Engine on DC.

Well i think people have got resolution size mixed up with detail 640x480 does not mean better detail if the textures are still 320x240 it makes them look even worst.. I will give you an example

Dreamcast Bero 320x240 OPENGL
bero.png

Dreamcast Mrneo 640X480 OPENGL
mrneo.png

Dreamcast Radquake 320x240 Software PVR Texture
radquake6402.png

Software has the most detail for quake 1 it shows every pixel

resolution size on quake does not change the detail unless you replace the textures EG darkplaces texture pak which would never run on dreamcast in any form maybe a wince port with mmu

yolk
noob

Post#15 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 am

It really does come down to how fast one can iterate on a platform. I look at JoshProd and I really like to witness some behind the scenes of how they port some stuff and actually their development workflow would be useful in understanding how they iterate quickly.

It must not cost that much to get a disk pressed... hmmm.

Also I proffer a revenue share model because that's kinda cool too

Grey Fox
lithium

Post#16 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 am

I’m a long time lurker on here and never post as much as I should do but I’m a lifelong Sega fan and I’d also had the idea of trying to stimulate the development community in some way. I post intermittently at several Forums and used to help run the BritMeet retro conventions back in the late 90’s early 2000’s. While I’m always amazed how many amazing projects get completed and released I’m also saddened to see so many promising projects abandoned but totally understand that time/costs/real life gets in the way. Possibly the potential of winning some cold hard cash might see some of these things completed?

I’m also conscious that if this happens we could end up aiming too high and making it unwieldy. A focussed approach with room to grow might be best?

The danger might be that some of the cool stuff very generously released to the community for free might end up being held back……..

In line with the suggestions made in this thread I’d propose the following approach:

1) Raise some funds as Prize Money
2) Announce the Contest in as many places as possible providing categories, details of prizes and a generous enough deadline for developers to adequately code stuff
3) Deadline arrives (not sure how entries would be collated/distributed – through DCT Forums perhaps?)
4) A week after the deadline open a poll on DCT for each category.
5) Highest polled entry for each category wins the prize (or winner and runner up, or top 3 or whatever)

In order to do this I’d imagine several things would need to happen.

1) Fund raising:
This is a tricky one. I’d be more than happy to contribute a decent amount to get this off the ground. We’d need a prize pot that would provide enough incentive for people to enter and enough to cover several categories. Would need some kind of central pot of cash (Patreon/Escrow/PayPal?) Administered by someone trustworthy at the Forums – a mod perhaps?

Would also need to think what a suitable amount would be as a prize. $250? Who knows? What do other existing contests offer as prizes? I know there are contests for 8bit games etc

Alternatively perhaps Amazon Vouchers or something as the prize?

Alternatively might be to seek some sponsorship. Perhaps a JoshProd or similar company might provide some prizes for winners? Would help drive attention too? The dream would be professional releases but in the short term either prizes or advertising would help.

2) Announcement
This needs to gain awareness at all the usual places to gain developer attention. No idea the best way to do this

3) Deadline
This needs to be generous enough to allow suitable time for polished entries etc but not so distant that the momentum is lost.

Potential Categories:
1) Original Game – i.e. a playable game of some kind – a puzzle game, platformer, rpg or whatever
2) Ported Game – i.e. port of an existing game (maybe legal issues around this?)
3) Mod – e.g. original game based on existing engine e.g. a Doom or Quake engine or whatever (would there be issues with this?)
4) Other – e.g. an application, a media player, a VMU utility or whatever

This may get confusing. E.g. does a port of a homebrew game from another platform count as a port or an original game?

Alternatively could be more specific. e.g. choose a genre and set the rules for that e..g Single Screen Platformer or Endless Runner or Puzzle Game or whatever.

Rules:
Do there need to be rules around entries? Is an update to someone elses work a legitimate entry? For example if someone hacked Bleem for 100% compatibility and Saves etc that would likely win the contest however most of the code wouldn’t be their work etc……..

Anyway just a bit of a stream of consciousness.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#17 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:26 pm

you are spot-on with everything.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#18 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:56 pm

BUMP

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#19 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:08 pm

deluxux, i appreciate the bump.
although i would love to implement something like this for the site.
i don't see it ever happening.