Sonic Adventure disc could be broken??

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Sonic Adventure disc could be broken??

Post#11 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:59 pm

Huge problem with saturn games you can see the holes when you hold them up to light

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#12 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:39 pm

I have had mixed results as well with having GC discs resurfaced.. a couple times the resurfacing machine created a tiny tiny "dent" in the disc causing it to be un-readable. Probably because the small disc doesn't sit in the machine as stable.

However, haven't had one instance of disc rot with GC discs..I even had the webbing crack issue with Twin Snakes and Metal arms..however they still play great because the bottom is spotless..

Its like with the DVD based media, the reflective layer is sandwiched between the two clear layers..but with GD roms, saturn games, PS1 games, even audio cd's you have to be very careful because the reflective layer seems to be in the top/label side of the disc. If I ever see an ad for a disc like this and the seller has it label down on a hard surface to show that the bottom has no scratches, I always pass.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Is ye for real? I have the Twin Snakes and RE4 webbing, bottoms looks great but can confirm things are not happening

My RE4 recently I noticed my controller is not rumbling. Maybe try my other one? But in the start of the campaign before your first door there are a trio of chumps on the high cliff talkin smack. Not happening to me!

Twin Snakes you call HQ in the stealth ambush and constantly they tell me to ask Otacon about the tech. He never does and they acknowledge that by telling me to ask about it every call then

Also cannot get the "Do I look like a mouse to you" convo to play when starting the Blast Furnace.

Fuck's sake

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#14 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:33 am

If it's a first print disc of Sonic Adventure, then that explains your problem.

Quite a few launch titles were pressed on faulty media due to a factory pressing of GD Disc media. Nearly most of the launch game lineup suffered as a result and Sonic Adventure is no exception. It's was so bad for Sonic Adventure that there is still sealed copies of the game in circulation that don't work at all, which is why they are still kept sealed to this day.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

beanboy
Wazza

Post#15 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:29 pm

mistamontiel wrote:RE4.. Twin Snakes.. they have a webbing cracking on the top label.. and stuff I know happen in em ain't really.. really damning

A few months ago, I noticed that same web vein cracking thing, on some of the labels, of my gamecube games. Dang! I thought I was the only one. :shock:

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#16 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:02 pm

CD AGES wrote:If it's a first print disc of Sonic Adventure, then that explains your problem.

Quite a few launch titles were pressed on faulty media due to a factory pressing of GD Disc media. Nearly most of the launch game lineup suffered as a result and Sonic Adventure is no exception. It's was so bad for Sonic Adventure that there is still sealed copies of the game in circulation that don't work at all, which is why they are still kept sealed to this day.

I actually bought a defective Sonic Adventure disc a few weeks ago (thankfully I got it exchanged for one that worked), and the issues described by the OP are different from what I experienced. Mine wouldn't even boot at all, it could only play the CD track of "This is a Dreamcast game, don't put it in a CD player".

Flamiemeister
rebel

Post#17 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:54 pm

I've definetly had my fair share of rot on dc discs. One copy of power stone has it, one copy of of crazy taxi I got had one (though I got a free replacement), but that's to the biggest extent for me. Luckily I got the power stone disc on clearance for a buck and it has everything but manual so not mad it makes for cool display.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk