It was just the 25th anniversary of Saturn in JP - what are your views of the system?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
areyareadyherewego
photon blast

It was just the 25th anniversary of Saturn in JP - what are your views of the system?

Post#1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:21 pm

how does it stack against dreamcast for you,

( nov 22, 1994 in Japan )

louis012345678
Doom

Re: It was just the 25th anniversary of Saturn in JP - what are your views of the system?

Post#2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm

The Dreamcast is the most fun but the Saturn is my favourite because it's essentially an arcade machine packed into a console. That, and it has lots of awesome racing games...

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: It was just the 25th anniversary of Saturn in JP - what are your views of the system?

Post#3 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:33 pm

I prefer the dreamcast's library, but the saturn does have some fun titles and is a neat console with the sega and arcade feel itself. Nights, Virtua Fighter 2 and Sega Rally 2 are my top favorites that I enjoy replaying on that system.

QBsince1933
shadow

Post#4 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:34 pm

The Sega Saturn was my first system and I still have it after almost 22 years! So many memories!

Amorget
rebel

Post#5 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Dreamcast for me. I never owned a Saturn growing up (I had my Game Gear) then bought a Dreamcast on clearance at the end of it's life. I own a Saturn now along with a small library of games, but I still prefer the Dreamcast.

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#6 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:19 pm

I could never afford a saturn and to be honest I still can't really. I've been torn over whether or not to spend the money on one especially when you can't just burn a CDI like dreamcast if there's a really rare game you can't find/afford

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:15 am

Action Replay 4M+ cartridges and Pseudo firmware on it the way to be

Loving it you really see how hard it was to develop on n then you love it even harder coming from PS1

louis012345678
Doom

Post#8 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:39 am

Krootox1986 wrote:I could never afford a saturn and to be honest I still can't really. I've been torn over whether or not to spend the money on one especially when you can't just burn a CDI like dreamcast if there's a really rare game you can't find/afford

You could always get a Pseudo Saturn cart which makes the Saturn region free as well as able to play CD-R's so that would be your best bet. I don't have one personally (I just have a standard memory card) but I've heard nothing but good things about them and I've seen ones from Hong Kong on eBay for as low as £20.

Now that I think about it, I should probably get a Pseudo cart myself :lol:

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#9 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:31 pm

The Saturn it was my first "3D" console, i have very good memories and still. It’s a nice console with great library which my opinion had better RPG’s games from Dreamcast. So, I love both consoles and i always give a little bit of my time to play with them.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#10 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Saturn? Good console.

It had alot of good conversions of fighting games, that I wish were on the dreamcast, that also felt like you were playing the arcade version, like X-men vs. SF, Marvel Superheroes vs. SF and Vampire Hunter etc. Lots of good rpg's, puzzle games and racing games too.

Both saturn and dreamcast, had great games the other didn't have. For example:
Dreamcast had the legendary Soul Calibur, Powerstone etc. Saturn had X-men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter and VF2 etc.

Now all Sega needs to do, is make a console, that has the game library of both consoles. Provided that sega, and the 3rd party game dev companies, are willing to make, good sequels to their arcade classics and fighting games, and not the crappy sequels, that we have been seeing for the past 2 decades, on the other game companies consoles etc. But that would be the tough part.