Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Re: Marvel First Aliance: Special Edition [FINAL] (DreamCast Version)

Post#11 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Since it's using my updated engine update it's gdemu only be silly slow loading on a cdr ive tested

Cool, thanks for the heads up dude

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#12 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:15 am

Krootox1986 wrote:Sorry for being stupid but when it says without long loading times does that mean for cd-r or gdemu?

My part in this release were the RAM related optimizations to the mod itself.

If this is one of those games with the RAM saving diabled, OpenBOR is quicker to boot up. This would apply on a cd-r too. I haven't tested this one yet, but if by "RAM related optimizations" Ripfire means RAM saving disabled, even the cd-r on a Dreamcast system would be quicker.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#13 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:23 am

ChristinaDreamcustDC wrote:
Krootox1986 wrote:Sorry for being stupid but when it says without long loading times does that mean for cd-r or gdemu?

If this is one of those games with the RAM saving diabled, OpenBOR is quicker to boot up. This would apply on a cd-r too. I haven't tested this one yet, but if by "RAM related optimizations" Ripfire means RAM saving disabled, even the cd-r on a Dreamcast system would be quicker.

it's not almost useless from a cdr see i developed this update engine dont matter what he does with the mods at all for file loading i have the file system trying to load at 8 to 10 places at once the laser can only be at 1 place at a time.. hence why i say dont burn it to a cdr nulldc it's great gdemu still slow but playable once the game loads all the files it play fine.. my bad i should of tryed it from a cdr when i was doing the dev for 4 months but i had no dreamcast.. when your using nulldc it's using a hardrive that can load all places at once..

I can fix it but im busy doing all sorts of other projects at the time all my testers used GDEMU's

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#14 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:30 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
ChristinaDreamcustDC wrote:

it's not almost useless from a cdr see i developed this update engine dont matter what he does with the mods at all for file loading i have the file system trying to load at 8 to 10 places at once the laser can only be at 1 place at a time.. hence why i say dont burn it to a cdr nulldc it's great gdemu still slow but playable once the game loads all the files it play fine.. may bad nulldc using a hardrive that can load all places at once..

Oh, totally, the Dreamcast system is slower to load than nulldc, I've tested that with your TMNT Collection, Saint Seiya, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, and some others. That's a good thought, the hard drive thrashing, I wouldn't have thought that was the reason the Dreamcast was slower...

I agree that the Sega Dreamcast is slower than nullDC, but I'm just saying that Ripfire's newest games disable RAM saving, so they are indeed faster than the older OpenBOR games. On nullDC Ripfire's newer games with RAM saving disabled are quicker than Ripfire's older games, and I don't think they had RAM saving disabled. I just wanted to let everybody know from my experience that games with RAM saving disabled are still quickest. The load time for the older ones is often well over ten minutes, and the Dreamcast makes a lot of noises.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#15 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:41 am

Indeed Im glad i took up the torch to up date open bor and get 16 bit and 32bit grafix working im just warning people with a weak laser like mine this game takes 20 mins to load that's crazy

When i change the port the engine all these mods is running on i took away the buffers for the gdrom to save ram to load larger games it works but it then has to load every file 1 at a time etc..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#16 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:50 am

One more thing kos gdrom driver this is built on is modded to let sd card and gdemu run better when i released this update it had never been tested from a cdr.. when i got my dreamcast working i was shocked i have released a number of games my self i burned them all not one loaded under 15 mins.. Old first openbor engine could load games in 30 sec or less it would not load any of these

Ripfire
stalker

Post#17 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:46 am

Last edited by Ripfire on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#18 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Ripfire wrote:Well, it is true that it is faster in initial charger but after each level exceeds 2 minutes of loading, if anyone is interested in lighter loading, I can modify the 8-bit color ballot, it could certainly go faster the load (one minute or less).

Ian Micheal, a virtual cache on the sd card for the games would be useful without going through the loading process for your next update, if you can?

Bueno, es cierto que es mas rapido en cargador inicial pero despues de cada nivel supera a los 2 minutos de carga, si alguno le interesa que sea mas ligero la carga puedo modificar la papeleta de colores a 8 bit, sin duda podria ir mas rapido la carga ( un minuto o menos ).

Ian Micheal, seria util un cache virtual en la sd card para los juegos sin pasar el proceso de carga para tu proxima actualizacion ¿si se puede?

Well, I am fine with the new OpenBOR with or without RAM save disabled (I'm more interested in the quality or quantity of OpenBOR games than load speed). I know I am of the minority because most users would probably find something like the load speeds of Saint Seiya unacceptable. If it means anything Ian Michael, my Dreamcast lens is still working good, but I have the same long load times, so I can't imagine the speed is better on CD-R for anyone else. I wonder what the speed would be like on Dreamcast CPU overclocks? I can't image that would improve the GD-ROM drive seek speed much, but would it change load speed at all?

However I would like to see you, Ripfire, modify a game to have 8-bit color and make it have less resources to load. Does anybody have an idea of a game? Maybe you already have something in mind, Ripfire?

Anyway Ripfire, your link to v1.00 is broken, it links to " http://anonym.to/? " The other ones are like " http://anonym.to/?https://ux.nu/yT4vN " and " http://anonym.to/?https://ux.nu/VK57F ", so v1.00 is missing your little ux.nu MEGA link thing. The other two links worked fine. :P

Ripfire
stalker

Post#19 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Last edited by Ripfire on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChristinaDreamcustDC
blackout!

Post#20 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:37 am

Ripfire wrote:Ian Micheal, a virtual cache on the sd card for the games would be useful without going through the loading process for your next update, if you can?

[...]

Ian Micheal, seria util un cache virtual en la sd card para los juegos sin pasar el proceso de carga para tu proxima actualizacion ¿si se puede?

Has anyone used the SD card adapter through the Dreamcast serial port instead of a GDEMU? Because of the lack of GD-ROM drive thrashing, is even the slow SD card adapter through the serial port much quicker than CD-r? For a game that doesn't disable RAM Saving (Saint Seiya, I think maybe Ripfire's TMNT The Hyperstone Heist), what's the speed difference between the SD card adapter and the CD-r?

Further, is SDISO and GDI really quicker than CDI on the SD card adapter? I've read that from the internet, but I'm not sure why.

This is just a thought, Ripfire/Ian Michael, but could a CD-r burned copy of a game use the virtual cache on the sd card too? I know the Dreamshell CD-r can run files off the SD card, so I'm wondering if that could work for CD too? I don't know why anybody would use both a CD-r and an SD card, but you could have maybe the game and audio from the CD and the .pak or loading files from the SD card? I'm not sure that that's very practical, but I'm curious if that's technically possible.

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”