Dreamcast Controllers

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
KLXboy
rebel

Dreamcast Controllers

Post#1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:12 pm

Just a random tidbit for discussion. What are your guys's thoughts on 3rd party Dreamcast controllers? Ive only ever used to official Sega controllers until a few weeks ago I decided to finally get a Performance AstroPad off ebay. Just because I always wanted one 20 years ago. Surprisingly I fell in love with it and I find it to be more comfortable and usable than Sega's controller. Its got that Xbox Duke controller kinda feel. Just because of that Ive added a few more AstroPad's to the collection, the MadCatz Dreampad and an Intec Dream Shark. Again I find them all comfortable and very usable. I constantly am switching back and fourth between all these controllers and plan on getting more 3rd party controllers. Got quite a few I need to check off the list.

Anyway if you guys love some 3rd party controllers I definitely wanna hear about it!
PSO v2 username: Mike
Q3A username: KLXboy

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Dreamcast Controllers

Post#2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Ive got a Brook PS4 controller adapter that allows you to use wireless PS3 or PS4 controllers and arcade sticks. Its even got 40 vmu blocks for that one game that only loads from port A. Not all of my friends like the DC controller, the face buttons get mapped to the right stick and I believe custom button mapping is planned. Might be possible to use the new RetroBit Saturn wireless USB controllers with the Brook in the future as well!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:30 pm

i very much like my nyko dream>master much better dpad like a saturn pad has 6 face buttons

KLXboy
rebel

Post#4 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 pm

Its too bad they didnt get the button placement right on the Nyko controller or else Id be all over that. Anybody check out the new RetroFighters Dreamcast controller!?!?
https://hypebeast.com/2019/2/retro-figh ... controller

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#5 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:19 pm

I'm still waiting for retro bit's dreamcast controller

KLXboy
rebel

Post#6 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:41 pm

I didnt even know about that one. Saw the prototype and yaaaa Id need to come out already. I like the Retro-Bit controllers.

KLXboy
rebel

Post#7 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:56 am

Does anyone ever leave extra controllers plugged into their DC for the purpose of having a VMU slave? I keep a broken MadCatz controller plugged into port D just for extra memory cards. I use it as my main port so I can either have a very light controller or run rumble packs and of course my favorite reason, to change controllers mid game without having to disconnect the vmu. Phantasy Star really doesnt like it if you unplug your VMU mid game.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:21 am

KLXboy wrote:Its too bad they didnt get the button placement right on the Nyko controller or else Id be all over that. Anybody check out the new RetroFighters Dreamcast controller!?!?
https://hypebeast.com/2019/2/retro-figh ... controller

Z and C buttons are for games that support it ... it's the dpad thats the best part :)

KLXboy
rebel

Post#9 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm

That is a legit dpad. It's very much like the one on my intec controller and it's premium.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 pm

great for fighters and Dreamneo and openbor and mame :)