Installing Noctua fan to replace stock - remove resister (have gdemu as well)

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Installing Noctua fan to replace stock - remove resister (have gdemu as well)

Post#1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:01 am

DO I want to remove the resistor from my PSU (which I used to offset some of the voltage difference installing gdemu to replace the stock disc drive) or can I keep that in place, when installing the Noctua to replace my stock fan?

Cant wait for it and the 3d printed mount to arrive for it ! Im looking forward to a whisper quiet machine at last!

I also have DCHDMI in this unit, bought a premod fairly recently and loving it so much over Pound cable and even Akura

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Installing Noctua fan to replace stock - remove resister (have gdemu as well)

Post#2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:16 am

Bite the bullet, go all out and get a VGAtoHDMI cable. A DCHDMI isnt worth the cash but a GDEmu is.
HMU i was given $50 newegg but newegg doent have much i want

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Re: Installing Noctua fan to replace stock - remove resister (have gdemu as well)

Post#3 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:20 am

Sorry you misunderstood

I already have a DCHDMI dreamcast w/ gdemu, and am installing noctua

I had pound and beharbros previously and dchdmi blows both out of the water

this was just for context, of the machine I'm going to be installing Noctua into that has that resistor in the PSU for now. Just wondering if adding Noctua changes things

NightBreeze
fire

Post#4 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:36 pm

Nah, keep everything else as it was, you only need to do the fan-related changes (fan mount, eject adapter, Noctua adapter cable).

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#5 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:00 am

NightBreeze wrote:Nah, keep everything else as it was, you only need to do the fan-related changes (fan mount, eject adapter, Noctua adapter cable).

That's what I did. But I have sense installed a dream psu. Works great.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#6 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks guys!

Noctua fan is here! Looking forward to getting the kit soon with the adapter and 3D print in the next few days

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#7 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:24 pm

im an idiot and bought the 12v version of fan not 5v

I could get it to spin up manually moving the blade with my finger, but didn't have the machine on longer than like a couple minutes before researching and realizing I need the 5v

I hope from a voltage perspective I didn't do any damage, but I would imagine (hope?) not and just think the fan was receiving less power than it needed