Dreamcast and FWA connections

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sega RPG

Dreamcast and FWA connections

Post#1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:10 am

So, i might be changing my internet connection to an fwa one (fixed wireless access or fiber mixed radio, as the provider also calls it)

If you don't know what is it, on a normal connection you would get your line through cables for adsl and fiber from a cabin, and little antennas for those satellitar connections who relies on satellities or antennas

With the fwa you would get fiber to the cabin, and then this connection sent to you to a 4g lte sim inside a modem that repeat the signal

Now the question is, i know 4g networks are not optimal for gaming with the dreamcast, but considering this is a classic signal sent via 4g and not a 4g with the usual antenna, how much does this affect me?

I know this offer has it's limits but the current situation is not sustainable anymore and considering i live in open country, and the cabin is almost 2 km from me i don't want to spend ridicolous prices on a fiber to get low speeds

Any hint?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast and FWA connections

Post#2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:08 am

Every thing i do is using 4g lte connected to my phone really i have no problem at all long as it's connected to the computer my phone is direct to my pc with usb cable from there i can use it like i want

Sega RPG

Post#3 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:11 am

So you play online with your dreamcast and the 4g?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#4 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:18 am

I have used a 4g wifi hotspot on my phone and connected my Dreampi to that without issue. Doesn't use much data at all at dial up speeds. But.. I'm not sure if all games will work, some games like worms can be really picky. Good Luck!

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:43 am

@deluxux you can buy VPN with white IP and play all games

Sega RPG

Post#6 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:19 am

deluxux wrote:I have used a 4g wifi hotspot on my phone and connected my Dreampi to that without issue. Doesn't use much data at all at dial up speeds. But.. I'm not sure if all games will work, some games like worms can be really picky. Good Luck!

Thank you, well considering it's a modem and not just a phone i guess i can dmz my dc the same?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm

@247 You need to know if your provider provides white IP
In my country mobile operators provide white IP only to legal entities, so the only way out is buy VPN
If you create a VPN connection on a DreamPI or PC-DC, you do not need to configure DMZ or port forwarding

Sega RPG

Post#8 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Ouch, i don't know, how do i discover that?

Edit : seems the connection has a private ip, don't know what that means anyway...

megavolt85
Developer

Post#9 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:11 pm

Need to compare the outgoing modem 's WAN IP with the yandex response to the "my IP" request
If the IP matches, you have a white IP

Sega RPG

Post#10 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:18 am

Guess what, we ended up doing nothing...i hope i can, then, play afo or nba with my phone hotspot...