Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
thedoctor45
lithium

Re: Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

Post#81 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:55 pm

The developer said that Ubisoft wanted a 1:1 port from the PC version, which the Dreamcast couldn't handle, so there‘s a chance that reducing the quality of some of the resources could help improve the situation on the Dreamcast, but I have obviously no idea if that's actually possible since I don't have access to the files yet so I'm just speculating.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#82 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:54 pm

Perhaps lowering the sprite resolution may help? They seem already very small to begin with. Lowering the density of units on the map would undoubtedly help too.

But great news everybody, the fundraiser goal has been met!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/heroes-iii-f ... hare-sheet

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#83 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Perhaps lowering the sprite resolution may help? They seem already very small to begin with. Lowering the density of units on the map would undoubtedly help too.

But great news everybody, the fundraiser goal has been met!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/heroes-iii-f ... hare-sheet

I guess they could also lower the color depth as well as resolution. I am guessing being a Windows ce probably already using vq textures. Are there even modding tools for the PC version of this game? If not you're getting ahead of yourself there.

True half life they broke up the levels but for other games that requires 32 mb ram and up like bang battleship and psycho circus still had the same level sizes and pretty much only had texture down grade.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#84 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 pm

Yes there are mods. Hell, there is even a resize sprites mod here so it should absolutely be possible to mod this game to be better optimized.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/heroes-3-gig ... resize-mod

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 am

So the fundraising was a success, which is a good thing. Hopefully, someone can fix this so the funders can get their investment on the game. I feel the investors deserve exclusive rights to it being I did not. I do not feel I should have the right to play this game being I did not donate.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#86 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:25 am

Why hold a fundraiser only to allow select people play it? That sounds way more shady. All Dreamcast unreleased beta fundraisers have been to make the game available to all since time immemorial. Most of those people paid like 5 Euros to make this available. I say we should be eternally grateful they made the donation for the rest of the fans.
Last edited by Anthony817 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#87 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:So the fundraising was a success, which is a good thing. Hopefully, someone can fix this so the funders can get their investment on the game. I feel the investors deserve exclusive rights to it being I did not. I do not feel I should have the right to play this game being I did not donate.

play buggy beta?
will be like with agartha or Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator
download, look and forget :mrgreen:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#88 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 am

With wince they had mmu pagefile swaping could load swap so i doubt size of the grafix was the problem

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#89 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:32 am

thedoctor45 wrote:Using only 16MB of memory was definitely a bad choice since HoMM3 wasn't the only game that didn't make it due to the consoles memory limitations. Commandos 2 comes to mind among others.

Maybe the community will be able to mod the games resources to the point where it runs a bit more stable at least.

Have 512mmu page virtual addressing on wince

http://archiv.sega-dc.de/munkeechuff/ha ... emory.html

Can even send textures using SQ if you chose wince that's one of the benefits of it VQ compression you get 64 meg textures
If used right between loading take AES4all can load 100meg roms that's homebrew

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#90 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:21 am

Looking forward to playing this build and even more excited to see the more technical savvy looking into this build to see what's hidden :)