VGA cable not working

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

JC34
lithium

VGA cable not working

Post#1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Hey guys, so I just got a brand new VGA cable for my Dreamcast and it's not giving me a signal. It's in as far as it will go on both ends but still not working. I don't know what else to do. I've tried this one trick to get into PC input but even if I'm on PC mode on my tv it won't give me a signal. Can any of you help me out? Thanks in advance!

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: VGA cable not working

Post#2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:40 pm

JC34 wrote:Hey guys, so I just got a brand new VGA cable for my Dreamcast and it's not giving me a signal. It's in as far as it will go on both ends but still not working. I don't know what else to do. I've tried this one trick to get into PC input but even if I'm on PC mode on my tv it won't give me a signal. Can any of you help me out? Thanks in advance!

What Brand VGA cable/box/adapter are you using?
Also what game(s) are you trying to run?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

JC34
lithium

Post#3 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 pm

It's just a standard one from eBay. It got all positive ratings. Also, the games I'm trying to run are Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and NFL 2k1. VGA-High-Definition-Cable-RCA-Sound-Adapter-HD-PAL-NTSC-For-Sega-Dreamcast-DC. This is the one I have.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:33 pm

Try pushing it in with a little more force. Sometimes they can feel like they are inserted all the way in, then when you go back to check with a little more force you can feel it slide in like 1 more mm or 2. Try that and see if it still isn't working.

This has actually happened to myself a few times, and numerous people in the community over the years.

JC34
lithium

Post#5 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Okay, so my cable does work but only on smaller, older flatscreen TV's. Which is ok since I have a smaller tv for outside. The tv I want to use it on has a 32 x 24-inch screen. I realize I have to get some sort of upscaler box for this to work on larger, newer TV's. My question is, however, does anyone know if this particular box outputs a 720p signal or higher? Also does 720p or higher stretch the image being produced? https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-to-HDMI-Ad ... SwjMteow0d (couldn't get the link to work so you will just have to copy and paste it) Another question I had is as follows. Does the image from a 480p signal from the Dreamcast stretch when put on to larger screens?
Thanks in advance.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 am

Yes it's because last tv doesn't feature the 640x480 / 480p in vga.
I just remember it.

For hdmi, you have akura box, or the better way is dchdmi but expensive and not easy to install.

JC34
lithium

Post#7 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:43 am

Is the Akura box in 480p, 720p, or 1080p, and if it's higher than 480p, will it stretch the image if I put it in 16:9?

JC34
lithium

Post#8 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:08 am

My last question is can I use this VGA cable that I bought, and put it through the upscaler box linked above? And if I can, will it stretch the image to the point of looking awkward when I put it in a 16:9 screen?