Sega Rally 2 Online racing

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
runkthepunk
Doom

Sega Rally 2 Online racing

Post#1 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:29 pm

Hey guys

I have been playing Sega Rally 2 alot the last few days as it's one of my go to games to pick up for a 20 minute blast of gaming fun.

I have been flipping between the PAL version and the Japanese version just for fun and it always makes me so envious when I see the 'Network Play' option on the Japanese menu screen.

I grabbed this image of the menu from online in case you've not seen it:

I was just wondering if anyone ever got chance to play the game online way back when?

I would love this game to be resurrected online but don't know if it is even possible :cry:

hadyn
letterbomb

Re: Sega Rally 2 Online racing

Post#2 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Sega Rally 2 online would be absolutely amazing! We missed quite a few Japanese games multiplayer features in the West back in the day.

dcdingo
Quad Damage

Post#3 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm sure someone will come along and give a better answer, but the short answer is that the Jap setup for online games was far more unique and complex than the rest of the world.

Never say never though, who would have thought we would have this many games online in 2020?
PSO - Crimez (Lv136 FoNewm) / Revlis (Lv20 RaCast)
Anything else - dcdingo
YouTube Link

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#4 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 pm

hadyn wrote:Sega Rally 2 online would be absolutely amazing! We missed quite a few Japanese games multiplayer features in the West back in the day.

It would be such a great game to get online. I was playing Dirt Rally 2.0 online yesterday and was wishing it was more like Sega Rally! :D

dcdingo wrote:I'm sure someone will come along and give a better answer, but the short answer is that the Jap setup for online games was far more unique and complex than the rest of the world.

Never say never though, who would have thought we would have this many games online in 2020?

Exactly that, once the games went offline I thought they were gone forever. I really hope it's something that could be done.

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#5 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:01 pm

Someone posted info about how this game works if you search the forum. From my (admittedly poor memory) I believe the game connected to a "switch board" type thing and then relied on P2P for match making rather than a server. I think it'll be pretty much impossible to bring back, sadly!
aka DavidHK on DC games.

dcdingo
Quad Damage

Post#6 » Tue May 05, 2020 4:05 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:Someone posted info about how this game works if you search the forum. From my (admittedly poor memory) I believe the game connected to a "switch board" type thing and then relied on P2P for match making rather than a server. I think it'll be pretty much impossible to bring back, sadly!

I feared it was something like that. Let's just hope for a miracle - I would definitely be up for some Sega Rally online!
PSO - Crimez (Lv136 FoNewm) / Revlis (Lv20 RaCast)
Anything else - dcdingo
YouTube Link

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#7 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:03 pm

dcdingo wrote:I feared it was something like that. Let's just hope for a miracle - I would definitely be up for some Sega Rally online!

I think the PC version can still be played online with direct P2P. Otherwise there's the Saturn version with Netlink :D
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

beanboy
Wazza

Post#8 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:27 pm

runkthepunk wrote:I have been flipping between the PAL version and the Japanese version just for fun and it always makes me so envious when I see the 'Network Play' option on the Japanese menu screen.

Yeah, I agree. Those Japanese were really lucky.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#9 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:51 pm

runkthepunk wrote:I was just wondering if anyone ever got chance to play the game online way back when?

Necroing this thread since the original question never got answered, but we do actually have real vintage footage of the game's online mode.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:07 am

From my tests with Sega Rally 2 (JP), it seems to include a direct dialler. Is it not possible to use the phone dialler to directly dial another player? They do it with Sega Saturn and SNES X-Band systems all the time.