SEGA announcement teased that will 'rile up' the video games industry

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Re: SEGA announcement teased that will 'rile up' the video games industry

Post#31 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:45 am

Really hope it isn't MS buying Sega. Just look how well that's worked out for Rare.

I personally hate Microsoft, I enjoyed the first console, the 360 was decent, but the One is just pure crap to me. I despise the interface and everything about it. I don't see how slapping the Sega logo on an Xbox Series X in Japan is going to really work. Japanese people have access to the internet, they know it's still Microsoft. I can't see that making any difference. I wouldn't buy it and I consider myself a Sega freak.

NOW if Sega was making new hardware? TAKE MY CA$H BABY!

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#32 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:37 am

MS buying RARE didn't ruin RARE. RARE stopped making the games you loved in the 90s because the people who made them left. IIRC, by the time RARE got put on Kinect-focued duty in the 2010s, the devs from the 90s had been long gone.

Just like how SEGA doesn't operate like they did in the early 90s, that team is gone. Long gone.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#33 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:52 am

Nico0020 wrote:MS buying RARE didn't ruin RARE. RARE stopped making the games you loved in the 90s because the people who made them left. IIRC, by the time RARE got put on Kinect-focued duty in the 2010s, the devs from the 90s had been long gone.

Just like how SEGA doesn't operate like they did in the early 90s, that team is gone. Long gone.

Indeed it's SEGA in name only

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#34 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:24 am

Personally, I never was much of a fan of Rare's games to begin with lol But the quality shifted long before they were working on kinect stuff. Perfect Dark Zero was trash, Kameo wasn't much better. Those were the first games they made for MS when they were acquired by MS.

It only got worse with junk like Grabbed by the Ghoulies. It wasn't about Rare not working with Nintendo franchises anymore. The games just weren't good at all.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#35 » Sun May 31, 2020 5:18 pm

Kameo wasn't that bad. Despite the clunky controls, it was like probably, the last good rare styled game they ever made. The other interesting thing is, some of the Rare staff left, and worked at Retro Studios on Metroid Prime 1. And then a few left Retro Studios, to work at other game companies.

Speaking of Rare, I'm still waiting for Jet Force Gemini 2 aka Star Twins. But we all know, that is not going to happen, anytime soon.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#36 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:20 pm

This is a podcast from the Dreamcast Junkyard about it. I really do not like posting direct links to other websites but in this case, I broke my status quo below. I want no hate mail for the link.

https://youtu.be/qMMSTeYkVo4

EDIT: It is purely speculation regarding the five rumours...they swiftly shoot down the Dreamcast 2 rumour. The rest is a bit drawn out for me.
Last edited by Bob Dobbs on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#37 » Sun May 31, 2020 11:22 pm

No harm in posting a link to the Junkyard. It's a great resource of information

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#38 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:22 am

Kameo was fine for 2005. That game went through some growing pains, as it was originally a gamecube game and went through a TON of changes. It was originally a monster collecting game. PDZ was also slated for GC in the early 2000s and It played like a game from 2001, which is what it should have been. The weird floaty controls always reminded me of 007 nightfire.

I'll give credit to Viva Pinata. I think that game was great for what it was, and my nephew loved it. I loved the aesthetics but I was in college and just beyond that type of game by the time it came out. If i had been an ES kid (the age group I was when RARE was putting out their heavy hitters on the n64) I would have probably put countless hours into Viva Pinata.

dcdingo
Quad Damage

Post#39 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:25 pm

Apparently NOT Xbox related

Temper those expectations folks...
PSO - Crimez (Lv136 FoNewm) / Revlis (Lv20 RaCast)
Anything else - dcdingo
YouTube Link

Xiden
Developer

Post#40 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:29 pm