DreamPi 1.7 No video output

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

nessonic
shadow

DreamPi 1.7 No video output

Post#1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:32 pm

I have a Pi 4 I am trying to flash DreamPi 1.7 to and cannot get video out. I have tried Rufus, Etcher (both from Windows & Linux), and Win Disk Imager. I've also tried two separate monitors. Flashed Rasbian to the SD card as well, booted right up no issues.

Anything I'm not doing correctly?

I don't have the USB modem yet as it's still in route, figured I'd try getting the Pi working before it gets here.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: DreamPi 1.7 No video output

Post#2 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:35 pm

Are you using the Pi 4 specific image from here? The standard 1.7 image isn't compatible with the Pi 4.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

nessonic
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:00 pm

I did not, however that link is not working for me - "connection to the server reset." Can't find that Pi4 image if I browse dreamcastlive download page manually either.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm

nessonic wrote:I did not, however that link is not working for me - "connection to the server reset." Can't find that Pi4 image if I browse dreamcastlive download page manually either.

Hmmm, yeah for some reason people seem to have a hard time downloading large files from my server. I'll upload it somewhere else and post the link in a bit.
PSO Characters:

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:40 pm

PSO Characters:

nessonic
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:00 pm

Thank you much! Flashed it, getting a white screen now - so the monitor is at least detecting something. Based on the reply from the thread you linked, that user had no video but it did indeed work besides that. I should be getting my modem adapter tomorrow and can actually test the whole setup.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:37 pm

nessonic wrote:Thank you much! Flashed it, getting a white screen now

A white screen? Strange. Never heard of that before. Usually either you get a rainbow screen (meaning the image isn't compatible) or no output at all. Did you power on the Pi before or after you plugged it into the TV? You need to have it plugged into the TV first or you won't get video output.
PSO Characters:

nessonic
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:05 pm

That got me in! That, or trying another monitor. I recalled the white screen issue specifically with this 7" test screen I've got but it worked on my standard monitor. Booted all the way to dreampi login. Should be ready to rock & roll once the adapter arrives. Thank you!!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:14 pm

nessonic wrote:That got me in! That, or trying another monitor. I recalled the white screen issue specifically with this 7" test screen I've got but it worked on my standard monitor. Booted all the way to dreampi login. Should be ready to rock & roll once the adapter arrives. Thank you!!

Awesome! Let me know how it goes once you have everything set up. I don't want to put it on the DC Live Downloads page until I know for sure that it works. I tested it with a Pi 3 but I don't have a Pi 4 to test with.
PSO Characters:

nessonic
shadow

Post#10 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:09 pm

So Pi fires up, 2x green lights on adapter. Great.

Having issues outside of that though. Ran DCFlash to take care of any lingering PSO data, and it just...sits forever. It references a red border that should turn green when it's done. I have nothing red on my screen. The first time, I killed power to the DC after maybe ~10 minutes. Now on this attempt, it's easily been sitting at least an hour.

I found a guide for internet connection settings, but upon trying to save those settings in XDP custom planetweb 2.6, I get an error trying to save the data. So, something's up with the flash.

I have a 0 model, which means early production apparently? Unsure if that explains any of these issues.