Super Mario 64 Port for Dreamcast is possible ?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

moon.sarito1
undertow

Super Mario 64 Port for Dreamcast is possible ?

Post#1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:58 pm

It's something that came to my mind, with the source code of Super Mario 64 leaked some people made a port for PC.

Later, they also ported to other consoles, currently even the Old 3DS is running the game.
Would it be possible to create a port for Dreamcast then?

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Super Mario 64 Port for Dreamcast is possible ?

Post#2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:15 pm

It's likely very possible using the leaked source code, but legally it's somewhat unwise. Unlike building an emulator, or recreating the game from your own code and assets, using the leaked source code in ANY way is highly illegal. Roms are technically illegal but only if you don't own the original disc/cart which is hard for law enforcement to prove (and the costs to prove it likely aren't worth the trouble).

Using leaked source code, however, IS easy to prove. And while having this game pulled from access shortly after release would be uncool, the truth is that the types of revivals we do here are a legal grey area. Bringing the noise from Nintendo and the law could have repurcusions.

I'd be very interested, of course, and think technically it's fine but legally is where the question lies

Protofall
undertow

Post#3 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:43 am

You're a bit confused. These SM64 ports aren't from the leaks. Before the leaks happened, a seperate group reverse engineered SM64's code using a retail game ROM and their code would definitely have differences to the Nintendo's SM64 code (Due to how decompilation works). Its still not entirely legal, but its more legal than using the stolen source code if that makes sense. Also the SM64 source code that was leaked is incomplete anyways so its not that useful.

As for a Dreamcast port, the PC version of SM64 uses around 32MB of RAM on startup. The Dreamcast only has 16MB of RAM (32 if you do the new mod) so the code will need to be optimised for Dreamcast for it to work, maybe even entirely overhauled.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:34 am

It's a weird world. Find someone capable and you could probably get something
20200802_000308.jpg

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:49 am

Sure if your willing to put in the work it can be done as you know the psp has a lot more ram and much higher clock rate :) Far as the source code it was clean room it was said still not stopped nintendo taking action on any file hosting for hosting the compiled version with the assets .. The gigaleak 2 3 4 if you follow there is a complete dump of the source found now i seen the post on 4chan were they compiled the rom to a working state.. been many more updates to the gigleak over the last week.. There is now complete source code to most of the pokemon games even a complete dev to build them.. Just keeps growing the leaks drips and drabs over the last week..

Sm64 port was clean room why nintendo not been able to take the port source code down.. but the compiled version using assets they have..

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#6 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Yes but the SM64 SDL port was done before the leak through reverse engineering I believe.
There's ports for various systems including the Switch.
I've tried it on my switch and it's just like the original game but running at a higher resolution.
I don't know whether the Dreamcast could handle it with it's limited memory though.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#7 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:08 pm

No idea, there's not a lot of ram left for anything. The binary is 13mb
20200802_213846.jpg

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#8 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:08 pm

It must have been less for the original title, surely? I can't believe the DC has less RAM than the N64.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Roareye wrote:It must have been less for the original title, surely? I can't believe the DC has less RAM than the N64.

N64 has a cartridge

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm not very technical, are you saying that you can counteract lesser RAM by utilising a cartridge? On-board RAM on the cart, or just how the hardware pulls data from the media?