GDEMU plus IDE MOD Possible ?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Skoomadude
shadow

Re: GDEMU plus IDE MOD Possible ?

Post#11 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:42 pm

thanks for the answer aldair but i dont understand what you mean. (maybe its the language barrier). Pin 13 is properly soldered to the pcb and has good connection to the Mobo. Testet every pin with the multimeter.

I really dont know exactly what you mean, sorry ^^

aldair
Metallic

Post#12 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:11 pm

MastaG wrote:But then again if you have a working IDE solution, you might as well just install the latest RetroDream release and call it a day.
It has presets for using the correct iso loader version for most games and reaches like 98% compatibility.
Also games load very fast from IDE, which benefits games such as Soldier of Fortune (which I almost finished playing from my CF card).

I played Soldier of Fortune on the serial sd card without problems, I just didn't finish the game because it is very repetitive.

aldair
Metallic

Post#13 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Skoomadude wrote:thanks for the answer aldair but i dont understand what you mean. (maybe its the language barrier). Pin 13 is properly soldered to the pcb and has good connection to the Mobo. Testet every pin with the multimeter.

large wires on the sata adapter have problems working on the Dreamcast.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#14 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:29 am

aldair wrote:
Skoomadude wrote:thanks for the answer aldair but i dont understand what you mean. (maybe its the language barrier). Pin 13 is properly soldered to the pcb and has good connection to the Mobo. Testet every pin with the multimeter.

Yep, same for my CF reader.
I have the pcb with IDE port which you can solder on the bottom of the GD-drive.
I noticed that if I use a 80-wire IDE cable to my CF reader it would work great.
But when I would cut up a 40-wire IDE cable to solder directly to the CF reader (which is now built into the case), the wires need to be really short or else I get all kinds of loading and freezing errors.
Also make sure you use proper wires for ground, preferably thicker stranded wires.

Skoomadude
shadow

Post#15 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:25 pm

I use this PCB which is directly soldered to the Motherboard. so i have no wires at all.

https://gametrackssite.wordpress.com/

bshi02
dark night

Post#16 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:22 am

MastaG wrote:
aldair wrote:

I have the pcb with IDE port which you can solder on the bottom of the GD-drive.
I noticed that if I use a 80-wire IDE cable to my CF reader it would work great.
But when I would cut up a 40-wire IDE cable to solder directly to the CF reader (which is now built into the case), the wires need to be really short or else I get all kinds of loading and freezing errors.
Also make sure you use proper wires for ground, preferably thicker stranded wires.

I'm interested in making sata hdd mod in my dreamcast. Would you inform me what is the best AWG size for wire which should be soldered directly to sata adapter or CF reader?

aldair
Metallic

Post#17 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 pm

bshi02 wrote:
MastaG wrote:
aldair wrote:large wires on the sata adapter have problems working on the Dreamcast.

I'm interested in making sata hdd mod in my dreamcast. Would you inform me what is the best AWG size for wire which should be soldered directly to sata adapter or CF reader?

https://youtu.be/Okm5HCFqicU?t=463

bshi02
dark night

Post#18 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:41 pm

As far as I know SATA has much more faster bandwidth speed than ATA 33/66,So I think It should not to make use of ATA 33-40 pin ide cable(40 conductor) for this SATA HDD mod. But In Your youtube link obviously show that 40 pin ide cable(ATA 33) have been soldered to dreamcast mainboard and connected to sata adapter..
Is It doesn’t matter to make use of 40 pin ide cable(ATA 33) for this SATA HDD mod?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okm5HCFqicU&t=320s

megavolt85
Developer

Post#19 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:59 pm

bshi02 wrote:As far as I know SATA has much more faster bandwidth speed than ATA 33/66,So I think It should not to make use of ATA 33-40 pin ide cable(40 conductor) for this SATA HDD mod.

speed limited by IDE interface

bshi02
dark night

Post#20 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:53 am

megavolt85 wrote:
bshi02 wrote:As far as I know SATA has much more faster bandwidth speed than ATA 33/66,So I think It should not to make use of ATA 33-40 pin ide cable(40 conductor) for this SATA HDD mod.

speed limited by IDE interface

Thank you for your reply!
Now,I understand that If I make use of IDE 40wire cable or IDE 80 wire cable(higher than 30 AWG) It would be impossible to get full bandwidth speed of SATA interface in SATA HDD mod.

By the way,I heard that it's not good for many games If IDE 40wire cable is used for HDD connector.
http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-3525-page-41.html
But If I give up making use of IDE 80wire cable(ATA 66/100/133 UDMA mode 3,4,5,6) and Instead, I only make use of IDE 40wire cable(ATA 33 UDMA mode 2) for HDD mod, Is there no compatibility issue in playing game with ISO Loader 0.7.x Beta?