Questions about Phantasy Star Online's Online Mode

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

VKNIGHT20
core

Questions about Phantasy Star Online's Online Mode

Post#1 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm

(I assume that this is the right place due to it being about the online mode). So recently I picked up a copy of PSO from my local game store and have really fallen in love with the game. My Dreampi arrived about a week ago so I have been attempting to play this game online but I just have a few questions:

1. Actually finding people online? So whenever I do go online I usually check Dreamcast Now to see if people are online. However, even when it says something like 10 people being online I can never seem to find anybody on the server. Is there is a set place I should go to find people, as I would really like to know.

2. Safe to use the bank if I have a shared serial code? So I recently picked up my game loose, and borrowed one of the many shared serial codes so I can play it. I'm worried that someone could log in with the same serial code, and take my items out of the bank.

3. All my non-equipped items disappeared after playing online; Is this normal? After I logged on for about 5 minutes to test if it worked online I left the server to play offline. When I rejoined all of my non-equipped items were gone from my inventory. Is this normal for PSO?

Thank you all for the help, sorry for the long post.
John 3:16

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: Questions about Phantasy Star Online's Online Mode

Post#2 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:10 am

Welcome. Always glad to see new members.
To answer your questions:

1. Well this could be one of two things. FIrst of all, did you pick up PSO v1, or v2? Almost no one plays V1. You can only see games that are made for v1, which are really rare to see. If you picked up v1, try and find a copy of v2. If you are playing on V2, then its probably just gamecube users you are seeing online. V2 can't join GC games.

2. The bank has nothing to do with your serial number. No one will be able to use your character/items as they are stored locally on your VMU and not on the games server. If you are using a shared serial, IIRC, the game generates you a guild card based on your characters name. However if you can find a used copy of the game with a serialnumber/access key id recommend getting that and registering it with the server. Shared serials generally suck to use and you wont be able to use features such as serverside backup, or participate in events.

3. Are you making sure to save and quit? If you don't save/quit and are just turning off your DC then your non-equipped items will be lost This was done by SEGA to prevent players from duplicating their items.

killy9999
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Can I have a follow-up question (and hijack the thread a little bit):

FIrst of all, did you pick up PSO v1, or v2? Almost no one plays V1. You can only see games that are made for v1, which are really rare to see. If you picked up v1, try and find a copy of v2. If you are playing on V2

What about PAL vs NTSC? Are these version compatible with each other or does each have its own separate online games?
Last edited by killy9999 on Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elliander
lithium

Post#4 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:36 pm

I also have a followup question:

I last played PSO on Sega's servers, but still have the save files on my VMU. I have my original discs in a binder, but I have no idea where the jewel case would be if anywhere.

1.) Where can I see which version I am on? If my game was played in v1, would a v2 disc work with my save file?

2.) Do I need the serial number that I used when I played online last? Would it be stored on the VMU somewhere? I know I would have entered it, since I actuallyed played online with Dreamcast's servers.

3.) I read that disconnected internet can also cause items to be lost. My ISP has a nasty habit of turning off the internet late at night when I am most likely to play for unannounced, but planned, maintainance. What if I copied my save files from one VMU to another before playing online?

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:52 am

killy9999 wrote:Can I have a follow-up question (and hijack the thread a little bit):

FIrst of all, did you pick up PSO v1, or v2? Almost no one plays V1. You can only see games that are made for v1, which are really rare to see. If you picked up v1, try and find a copy of v2. If you are playing on V2

What about PAL vs NTSC? Are these version compatible with each other or does each have its own separate online games?

Doesn't matter what region you are from, everyone can play together.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 am

Elliander wrote:I also have a followup question:

I last played PSO on Sega's servers, but still have the save files on my VMU. I have my original discs in a binder, but I have no idea where the jewel case would be if anywhere.

1.) Where can I see which version I am on? If my game was played in v1, would a v2 disc work with my save file?

2.) Do I need the serial number that I used when I played online last? Would it be stored on the VMU somewhere? I know I would have entered it, since I actuallyed played online with Dreamcast's servers.

3.) I read that disconnected internet can also cause items to be lost. My ISP has a nasty habit of turning off the internet late at night when I am most likely to play for unannounced, but planned, maintainance. What if I copied my save files from one VMU to another before playing online?

1. if you are are USA NTSC, v1 disc is black and v2 is blue. v1 save files have to be converted to v2, and can't be converted back.

2. If you are not using the same DC you used on SEGA, you will need the SN/AK. However if you have the same DC, if you try to make a new character, I think it should autocomplete the SNAK and you can get it from there.

3. disconnect wont cause you to lose items, as with a disconnect the game will start saving once you push start at the disconnect screen. The only reason to lose your item is if your console freezes/game crashes or you dont save and quit. Also if you are using your unique SN/AK, you can register it on the Sylverant site and set up serverside character backup.

killy9999
shadow

Post#7 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:07 am

Nico0020 wrote:Doesn't matter what region you are from, everyone can play together.

I wasn't precise with my first question. I have a physical copy of PSO and maunal claims that users who run game at 50Hz can't play with people playing at 60Hz and that the only way for someone from Europe to play with people from other regions is to run the game at 60Hz. Is that restriction still there, or has it been bypassed somehow on the server side?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:35 am

VGA is 60hz so

But 99% (best guestimate) of PAL players use Ives' CDI or the PC version

http://psopalace.sylverant.net