GDEmu clones, many versions.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

RaptorZX3
shadow

GDEmu clones, many versions.

Post#1 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:17 pm

When peoples say "GDEmu clone", let me write here, there are multiple versions of clones. I think the best one available is the "v5.15b", i've been told this specific version use the same components as the original GDEmu. While other versions of the clones may be cheaper, but they use different chips, so this might be why those who doesn't have a v5.15b might experience crashes.

As far as my knowledge goes, there are 3 clones out here right now: 5.5, 5.15, and 5.15b. v5.15b being the best clone out there right now.

And yes, even with a GDEmu v5.15b, Dolphin Blue still have this 3rd-level bug.

trekts
dark night

Re: GDEmu clones, many versions.

Post#2 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:09 pm

RaptorZX3 wrote:When peoples say "GDEmu clone", let me write here, there are multiple versions of clones. I think the best one available is the "v5.15b", i've been told this specific version use the same components as the original GDEmu. While other versions of the clones may be cheaper, but they use different chips, so this might be why those who doesn't have a v5.15b might experience crashes.

As far as my knowledge goes, there are 3 clones out here right now: 5.5, 5.15, and 5.15b. v5.15b being the best clone out there right now.

And yes, even with a GDEmu v5.15b, Dolphin Blue still have this 3rd-level bug.

not necessarily true because my v.5.15B gdemu clone still uses the same components as the older clone I have (which aren't the same chips as the official release). the best clones should use v.5.20 firmware which fixes some of the more crucial bugs the gdemu is known for.

RaptorZX3
shadow

Post#3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:00 pm

well, as far as i went, Bangai-O doesn't rescale correctly on a VGA monitor, since the GDEmu_SD software have VGA patching for all games, and i do play with VGA.
But as far as i remember, i had no problem with games, KOF11 (AtomisWave port) didn't crashed on me, and i got to the final boss before i got salty and turned the console off, lol!

Chev
shadow

Post#4 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:03 pm

I still have a doubt between GDEMU AND USBGDROM!

Maybe I will buy a GDEMU clone right now, and in the future I will make a better decision.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:20 pm

I literally got my clone right after they were on the market back in 2018, so I have the first batch of them. The Atomiswave games have all worked for me 100% no issues with a Kingston 4gb Class 4 microSD card. I am thinking it is more or less down to the SD card people are using as larger cards sometimes take longer to read data from as many people know. I have not even tested the Atomiswave games on my 128gb SandIsk card.

I mean, if my first gen clone is playing all of these games fine from a 4gb SD card, I am apt to think that it is larger cards affecting people. I am just sticking to what works for me, and for now until I fill the card up at least I will continue to play the Atomiswave games from this card since I have had the greatest luck so far with it.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#6 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Ive had the 5.5 and the 5.15b they both worked the exact same. except for the button not working on the 5.15b.
SkiesofArcadia intro bug, RE:CV tigerbug, Retail 3 Bleem!cast boot discs, that's the only things not working right as far as I know.
The GD-Menu patches the VGA-Yes flag when it boots a game. The same games you can use the ol video switch trick with.
Bangai-O doesn't work correctly on VGA, handful of other games to.. just simply don't work unless the game is patched by hand or some regions are VGA while others are not. Because the original dev's decided not to..they forgot to click the checkbox?

Megavolt85 said even a slow sd card or even having the Atomiswave game in CDI format on a Gdemu could be slow enough to crash the game, compared to the blazin fast AW cartridge system.

USBGDROM is lame because it has no menu support or homebrew loaders like Bleem!Shell or Neo4All4Gdemu, the creator trash talked the creator of the Gdemu and the USBGDROM requires real Dreamcast parts.

RaptorZX3
shadow

Post#7 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:14 pm

i have a 128gb MicroSD (Kingston Canvas Select), bought especially for my GDEmu, i used Rufus to force-format in FAT32 (Since Windows won't show me FAT32 when formatting it), and so far its been working great, i use a USB 3.0 SD/MicroSD reader when using GDEmu_SD.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#8 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:29 am

Anthony817 wrote:I literally got my clone right after they were on the market back in 2018, so I have the first batch of them. The Atomiswave games have all worked for me 100% no issues with a Kingston 4gb Class 4 microSD card. I am thinking it is more or less down to the SD card people are using as larger cards sometimes take longer to read data from as many people know. I have not even tested the Atomiswave games on my 128gb SandIsk card.

I mean, if my first gen clone is playing all of these games fine from a 4gb SD card, I am apt to think that it is larger cards affecting people. I am just sticking to what works for me, and for now until I fill the card up at least I will continue to play the Atomiswave games from this card since I have had the greatest luck so far with it.

It's all about 'sustained read speed', the small FAT32 table doesn't hurt either. A cluster size of 32k is right in GDEMU's sweet spot.

I'm using a 16GB Sandisk class 4 full sized card, FAT32 with 32k cluster size and a clone v5.15b GDEMU. Using the default unmodified game downloads, I've had zero lockups so far! (Knock wood).

Card UPC: SDSDB-016G-B35
Last edited by MoeFoh on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

slivercr
core

Post#9 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 am

MoeFoh wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:I literally got my clone right after they were on the market back in 2018, so I have the first batch of them. The Atomiswave games have all worked for me 100% no issues with a Kingston 4gb Class 4 microSD card. I am thinking it is more or less down to the SD card people are using as larger cards sometimes take longer to read data from as many people know. I have not even tested the Atomiswave games on my 128gb SandIsk card.

It's all about 'sustained read speed', the small FAT32 table doesn't hurt either. A cluster size of 32k is right in GDEMU's sweet spot.

I'm using a 32GB Sandisk class 4 full sized card, FAT32 with 32k cluster size and a clone v5.15b GDEMU. Using the default unmodified game downloads, I've had zero lockups so far! (Knock wood).

If you have some time, could you leave KoFXI on attract mode for 1 hour or so? Just to see if it locks up?
I've had no luck with it or NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and my SD cards were all formatted like that. I'll try 64k clusters today.

RaptorZX3
shadow

Post#10 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 am

For good measures, i added small heatsinks on the RAM of my Dreamcast PCB, 2 small heatsinks on the chips of the GDEmu, and 1-2 small heatsinks on the PicoPSU (on the components i bet they get hot) to help with cooling. Note that i use a Dreamcast board "VA0" with my GDEmu, the Japanese model with the better cooling (heatpipes and heatsink-fan on the exhaust).