Arcade Racing Legends Review! First footage of final version.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Arcade Racing Legends Review! First footage of final version.

Post#31 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:35 am

Agreed.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

qupe75
photon blast

Post#32 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:27 am

Cass wrote:Im not asking people to give this game a free pass but if you want Devs to continue to support the DC know that it's reciprocal - don't go ripping this game.

Definitely don't go ripping and uploading any new release for others.

The game is good, I don't think anyone has said it's bad. It has the potential to be so much better and a sequel, if possible, needs suggestions - I guess it will depend on how well this does.

Arcade games have difficulty levels, this has one, and I strolled through most of it on my 1st go - only 3 days I had to retry (2 of those were don't catch the sides tracks as I didn't want to take it easy). For that I have an issue.

Generally in other racers different cars have different benefits - in this they are for cosmetic value only. Possibly tweak the cars for different difficulties and speed increases?

Maybe for those who own it we could create a challenge thread.
Last edited by qupe75 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#33 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:53 am

DavidMclindal wrote:Despite the 480p res and 60fps, this one feels like a souped up N64 game. It probably doesn't even use 20% of the console's power. Still an amazing effort to develop a full 3d racing game of this quality on the Dreamcast. Keep it up and waiting for a sequel!

You might think that but it's using kos and the models of the cars are more then you think.. it's using 100% with the current engine..

8cac7034bb993864a85c4c93f0efdcb9_original.png

Each car is 1.5k triangles if you wanna do straight polygon count. Thats already more than the whole screen for n64 games
Info and model pictures by accel99

So what you think looks like a n64 or saturn game is way not... not using 20% it's using close to 100% with the current code base..

Were talking a small team and not a retail team with Budget in the hundred of thousands to millions with teams of 20 to 100 people working on one project.. Using the official dev kit with all the info..

this way more work then you think looks or how it looks does not mean it's not using 100% of the console.. Just means it does not have the budget or team to optimize the hell out of with up to 100 person team just doing each part..

Using pretty much all the sh4 cpu all the time.. count is as high as anything by kos has ever been..

I'm surprised it runs as well as it does... this using all free tools btw which shows how far kos has come..

Snes4all update i'm working needed 120% of the console to run fullspeed.. the dreamcast is not all the powerful a machine in raw power it's how you write the code for it..

Many homebrew projects are using 100% of the machine and run at 20fps if your lucky

shenhulahula
undertow

Post#34 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 am

Can't wait to get my copy! I know how to rip the game to CDI, but anyone know how I can convert that CDI to a GDI for playing on SD card through the serial adapter? Not going to spread it anywhere of course, just don't want to use the disc too much

IdeaSpy2.5
shadow

Post#35 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:56 am

I wish they would sell the CHD, like the team beyond Xenocrisis did. My physical Dreamcast is on the other side of the world so no physical copies for me...

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#36 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:28 am

Xenocrisis had multi system release.. this is dreamcast only that is why with out the real sales of the real media version to support this then it never happen again..

the other was a 2d game sold on many systems .. this all dreamcast only now cant be ported the way it is to work with out a great deal of work..

They must sell real disks to get back the time and effort over 2 years work..

Dreamcastnews
blackout!

Post#37 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:35 am

I'm probably in the minority here, but I did some testing on the game when it was still in production and various builds along the way, what I found was the game was very ambitious and impressive from the stand point that it was created using 3rd party tools. However, as a game, I really didn't enjoy it.
I feel that a game made up of mini games probably would have been more fun and easier to create in hindsight, there is a solid game engine there but it is one of those games that is 'just enough in each tick box' to prevent it being a bad game but not enough polish across the board to make it a stand out one.
I found some of the creative feedback that I gave often didn't result in anything being done about concerns - that being said, it is leaps and bounds over some of the builds I did play, at one point it was really rough and by the near final build, it was much tighter.

I wonder if one of the crowd in the night time stage is still overlapping onto the course in the final? (yes I have bought a copy, but I am keeping it sealed )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkjFAa-gCjU
https://youtu.be/XcyBq8vZ3Yg <----- Dreamcast gameplay videos

qupe75
photon blast

Post#38 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:19 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Xenocrisis had multi system release.. this is dreamcast only that is why with out the real sales of the real media version to support this then it never happen again..

the other was a 2d game sold on many systems .. this all dreamcast only now cant be ported the way it is to work with out a great deal of work..

Isn't it going to Switch too?

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#39 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:51 am

qupe75 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Xenocrisis had multi system release.. this is dreamcast only that is why with out the real sales of the real media version to support this then it never happen again..

Isn't it going to Switch too?

For PS4 and Switch.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#40 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:55 am

Don't forget they had a kick-ass-Kickstarter of €68,025. Lots of people are excited for this!