Dreamcast Mania

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

qupe75
photon blast

Dreamcast Mania

Post#1 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:44 pm

I have seen this video for Dreamcast Mania (aka Sonic Mania)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVI6ZVu_O1M

Is this possible to play on a dreamcast or via an emulator?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: Dreamcast Mania

Post#2 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:14 pm

That's a mod for the PC game Sonic Mania. Not a Dreamcast game.

qupe75
photon blast

Post#3 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:29 pm

I just wondered why they called it Dreamcast Mania and if it could be brought to the dreamcast? I have seen pictures of Sonic Mania on the DC I wondered how possible that would be?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:35 pm

cuz peeps r dum

k-do
Doom

Post#5 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:03 pm

What about Open Sonic? I know its discontinued and just have a demo for Dreamcast, the demo is very interesting indeed but need some adjustments, its runs slow.
Now the creator of Open Sonic is working on a project called Open Surge, a Sonic game clone and i think its the same engine of Open Sonic.
Would be great if some coder made some updates in Open Sonic for DC...it could be a base for a Sonic Mania mod for DC.

trekts
dark night

Post#6 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:12 pm

qupe75 wrote:I just wondered why they called it Dreamcast Mania and if it could be brought to the dreamcast? I have seen pictures of Sonic Mania on the DC I wondered how possible that would be?

because the game uses updated "Sonic Adventure" type character sprites.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:53 pm

qupe75 wrote:I just wondered why they called it Dreamcast Mania and if it could be brought to the dreamcast? I have seen pictures of Sonic Mania on the DC I wondered how possible that would be?

This is why it is called that: "This is an attempt to make sonic be like he is in the dc era along with many other edits as well ill possibly try stages if anyone is interested in doing stages for this mod and wants to join the team your welcome to do so. also don't mind the icons i plan on making new ones in the next release which won't be too far away this time i hope"

There is this though and it is made on the same engine. It was actually created with Windows CE so it maybe can be modded a bit.

https://sonicfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Retro_Sonic

Somebody did port the levels from this to the Sonic Mania PC version.

Also, we will be getting a port of Sonic CD in the future which is in the process of being reverse engineered for the Dreamcast and it is also running on this engine that I posted above. Both Sonic Mania and the modern Sonic CD port are both running on an updated build of that Retro Sonic engine.

http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2 ... ic-cd.html

I asked for a progress report on this about 3 months ago since this was posted about 3 years back. Here is what the creator had to say.

"The Mac and Windows builds are mostly finished now; I added controller support for those last month and a setup wizard for the macOS build to point it at game files. (On Windows you just drop the EXE in the folder with the game data) The only things left on PC platforms are the videos and using music loop points. So everything I need to resume the Dreamcast port is already in place, and I may have more to share later this year."

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:29 pm

I can compile the older engine now btw there are mod games for it

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 am

There are mods for the old Dreamcast version of the engine, or you are talking about the modern PC version of Sonic Mania? I mean since the levels and stuff were ported over from DC to the PC version of SM I guess this means other stages from that game could be backported to Retro Sonic? Is this essentially what you are saying Ian?

Please tell me this is what you mean, and we can try and recreate the game on DC by modding it!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#10 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:59 am

Old version uses allegro which i now have fully working and yes there are mods that will work on the old port.. really was not planing to work on this yet .. Check the old site there was games made with it that were pretty much complete just not used with the dc allegro port ..

Main key was none of the deps were online or build-able to be able to update it.. i have them all now and have ported small games using them and they work fine.. I posted about geting allegro working right long time ago and was talking about this could be updated .. but there was no interest at all..