Other Consoles Video Thread

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: The Wii U - a series of videos I am doing

Post#21 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:22 am

DCGX wrote:I was the same: I was waiting for a price drop on the WiiU that never came. The only reason I got a WiiU, which was the summer before the Switch was announced, was because the disc drive in my launch Wii had all but completely died.

It only made sense to get a WiiU at that point.

I bought my WiiU with a couple of essentials, like 'Mario Kart 8,' bought the DLC, and then the Switch along with the WiiU ports with the DLC included were announced. That severely annoyed me, as I always like to get complete/definitive versions of games so the DLC is on disc/cart rather than a separate, digital purchase.

As such I only got a Switch in November 2019, but besides 'Breath of the Wild,' that came with my purchase, and 'Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,' I haven't bothered selling of my WiiU versions that received Switch ports.

It is strange the price drop never really came. When the 3DS was struggling it got an early and decently large price drop

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:34 am

Not a big fan of any nintendo console maybe out of all them N64 at the time for banjo .. Just was not into nintendo games at all..

mstar
Doom

Post#23 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:48 am

Toads Treasure Tracker is a must have as well as Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Still waiting for a sequel to the latter, this game is just such a huge and enjoyable experience!

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#24 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:25 am

I haven't actually played 'Captain Toad' outside of the 3DS demo. But, aside from some bonus level differences, 'Captain Toad' is on three different system.

I was shocked the WiiU never got a price reduction. I'm guessing they would've sold it at too much of a loss to be worth it. I'm also shocked how much WiiU's still go for, but that's probably because people get them for replacement or backup WiiU Gamepads.

I have 'Xenoblade Chronicles X,' but that's still sealed and I haven't played it.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#25 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:37 am

Vgesoterica wrote:It is strange the price drop never really came. When the 3DS was struggling it got an early and decently large price drop

I remember Gamecube and N64 both got pretty substantial price drops after a few years too, within 2 or 3 years they cost $100 less than they originally did.

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Post#26 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:02 am

Ragfish wrote:
Vgesoterica wrote:It is strange the price drop never really came. When the 3DS was struggling it got an early and decently large price drop

I remember Gamecube and N64 both got pretty substantial price drops after a few years too, within 2 or 3 years they cost $100 less than they originally did.

Same with 3DS

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

The 3DO / Konami M2 - the system that almost went to Sega - Total Vice - 2/5

Post#27 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:07 am

In Feb I will be doing a virtual convention and I'll be talking about the history of 3DO, the M2 and my collection and beta hunting for it. So I decided to revisit the five full arcade games available for the platform since they are all awesome in their own right AND the run on M2 hardware.

Part of the fun though is the story of how Sega almost bought the M2 hardware platform to supersede the Saturn and become their "next" home console. Glad it fell through because then we would have never had the Dreamcast but it's a fun story I plan on doing a video about eventually!
Last edited by Vgesoterica on Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

willis
letterbomb

Re: The 3DO / Konami M2 - the system that almost went to Sega

Post#28 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:10 pm

Great video! I've never heard of the game, but now I'm interested to see the other M2 board games.

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Re: The 3DO / Konami M2 - the system that almost went to Sega

Post#29 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 am

willis wrote:Great video! I've never heard of the game, but now I'm interested to see the other M2 board games.

I have videos on the other four coming out in the next month or so :)

Vgesoterica
Rank 9

Wild Riders - one of Sega's best and most obscure racers

Post#30 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:33 am

NAOMI 2 was what Dreamcast 2 could have been...a powerhouse of a platform that could rival and outperform the PS2 and Xbox. Sadly we obviously never got NAOMI 2 as a console, and doubly sadly it was the last time Sega would ever develop their own hardware for their arcade games.

But man did they release some absolute hits on NAOMI 2 and Wild Riders is my absolutely favorite of the bunch. It's basically OutRun meets Crazy Taxi with the graphical stylings of Jet Grind Radio...which is as potent of a mix of amazing games as you can get!

Sadly I have not seen a cab for this in over ten years but I am always looking. It's one of those games I'd 100% add to my collection if I could find it, even if I had to modify some consumer controls to get it working.

Curious if anyone else has gotten the change to check this out? I feel like I rarely meet anyone who's even heard of it which is a huge bummer considering how legit amazing it really is