Which PAL versions work online?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

lozz
core

Which PAL versions work online?

Post#1 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm

The Dreamcast Live website is obviously superb, but unfortunately it doesn't specify which region games work and which don't.

Might someone be able to enlighten me as to whether the following PAL versions work online (via DreamPi), and if so, whether they can connect with folks using the NTSC-U editions?

POD 2 (believe it's called POD speedzone in the USA)
NBA 2K2
The Next Tetris

Thanks,

Lozz

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Which PAL versions work online?

Post#2 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:48 pm

Are you using discs or GDEMU? Cos if you're on GDEMU you're better off downloading ducity's GDI files - they're as small as they can be and they don't lose any features (some people cutting filesizes cut off the internet features, dubcity doesn't).

If you're using discs then I'm not sure. I know leaderboard uploads sometimes don't work with PAL copies because of how the leaderboards are coded originally, but I'm pretty sure playing games with others should work.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:52 pm

All of the current online games work online regardless of region. Just be aware of title differences. For example, Next Tetris: Online Edition was only released in the US (PAL regions just got Next Tetris), and Monaco Grand Prix Online was only released in PAL territories where the US only got the regular Monaco Grand Prix.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Release-regions aside, years ago I was told that 60 vs 50 hz in live-play is a no? Some happy medium these titles use?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#5 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 pm

Probably 60hz, since the DC can play almost all titles in 60hz in PAL regions (the first console to do so natively). I've only really played my PAL DC in 60hz, so I can't say if there's any issues if it were to run in 50hz. The fact the PAL DC is capable and often does run in 60hz leads me to believe it uses that as it's playing speed and simply downscales the frame rate via the output chip.

lozz
core

Post#6 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:01 pm

Ok thanks for the advice all. I believe NBA 2K2 has no online functions on the PAL version, so that's a no go. Also The Next Tetris was released in PAL territories, but not the online version, so that won't work either. I'm still unsure about POD - are "POD 2 Multi-Player Online" (PAL) and "POD Speedzone" (NTSC-U) compatible online together?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:06 pm

lozz wrote:I believe NBA 2K2 has no online functions on the PAL version, so that's a no go.

I completely forgot you guys got that game over there. lol It's the only 2K2 game that was released in Europe. But yeah, it's a bit butchered since the online mode was removed.

lozz wrote:I'm still unsure about POD - are "POD 2 Multi-Player Online" (PAL) and "POD Speedzone" (NTSC-U) compatible online together?

Yes, they're the same game. Just a different name.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Vill22
core

Post#8 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:38 pm

Roareye wrote:you're better off downloading ducity's GDI files

Might be a stupid question but where can you download these GDIs you speak of? I finally have a GDEMU on the way and would like to be able to grab everything and set up before it arrives!

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#9 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Vill22 wrote:

Might be a stupid question but where can you download these GDIs you speak of? I finally have a GDEMU on the way and would like to be able to grab everything and set up before it arrives!

Why, here in this very forum :D

viewtopic.php?t=13313

Vill22
core

Post#10 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:38 pm

Roareye wrote:
Vill22 wrote:

Why, here in this very forum :D

viewtopic.php?t=13313

Thank you!