DIY Dreamcast Serial Link cable help

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

DIY Dreamcast Serial Link cable help

Post#1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:56 pm

Hi there,

I am a big SEGA F355 fan and would like to make a link cable so I can play this game on 2 consoles and 2 screens.

My intention is to make a link cable using a cut up HDMI cable as the connector is 10 pin and has the same pin pitch.

Unfortunately I can not find a wiring diagram for this. Is anyone able to help?

I would also be grateful if someone could tell me the width of the connector as I am working away from home and do not have a Dreamcast here to measure it. I also plan on making it at work for my return.

Thank you for any help.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

megavolt85
Developer

Re: DIY Dreamcast Serial Link cable help

Post#2 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:43 pm

VS LinkCable.png

aldair
Metallic

Post#3 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:05 am

Anonymouse wrote:Hi there,

I am a big SEGA F355 fan and would like to make a link cable so I can play this game on 2 consoles and 2 screens.

My intention is to make a link cable using a cut up HDMI cable as the connector is 10 pin and has the same pin pitch.

Unfortunately I can not find a wiring diagram for this. Is anyone able to help?

I would also be grateful if someone could tell me the width of the connector as I am working away from home and do not have a Dreamcast here to measure it. I also plan on making it at work for my return.

Thank you for any help.

use pci express to make the connector is 100%.

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:25 am

aldair wrote:use pci express to make the connector is 100%.

I guess I don't understand what the the pci express is for in this context? A little more info?

I'm trying to fix one of the cables pcwizard made awhile back. It connects fine initially, but always disconnects as soon as the match actually starts.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

aldair
Metallic

Post#5 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:00 pm

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#6 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:38 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:I guess I don't understand what the the pci express is for in this context? A little more info?

I'm trying to fix one of the cables pcwizard made awhile back. It connects fine initially, but always disconnects as soon as the match actually starts.
The PCI Express connector has the same pin spacing as the serial port connector and it is a bit easier to do the whole mod using a cannibalized connector from an HDMI cable. That said, HDMI cables are obviously easier to get your hands on.

aldair
Metallic

Post#7 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:38 am

BlueCrab wrote:
hawkzer0 wrote:I guess I don't understand what the the pci express is for in this context? A little more info?

The PCI Express connector has the same pin spacing as the serial port connector and it is a bit easier to do the whole mod using a cannibalized connector from an HDMI cable. That said, HDMI cables are obviously easier to get your hands on.

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#8 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Oh ok. Thats pretty nifty. I'm sure you can buy just the PCI-e connector for pretty cheap. Might have to try rewiring the cable I have into one of those and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the videos aldair! That makes more sense!
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#9 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:32 am

Thank you all for your replies. They have really helped. I’ve decided to go through HDMI connector route as that is what I have at hand. Is anyone able to give some dimensions?
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart