Getting Phantasy Star Online... online!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

hobbycorp
shadow

Getting Phantasy Star Online... online!

Post#1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:35 pm

Hey, guys. New here and just managed to get my Dreamcast back online as of earlier today.

No issues whatsoever with Web Browser 2.0 or Quake III Arena, but PSO has been an entirely different story.

I have an official North American copy of PSO Ver. 2 but can't seem to make my way past these serial number screens. I have two (three?) questions regarding my attempts to get the game back online.

1. Why does the game ask me for the serial numbers from the first version of PSO? And why don't my serial numbers for this Ver. 2 work?

2. Will I really have to burn a disc with the Sylverant server on it just to play online? I don't have a computer that's capable of burning discs. Is there any way around this?

Thanks for any and all help. I'm sure these questions have been asked before but upon scanning the forum (albeit, lightly), I couldn't find precise answers to my questions, so I apologize if the answers to my questions are all obvious at this point.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Re: Getting Phantasy Star Online... online!

Post#2 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:20 pm

You need to erase your flash memory. Whoever owned that DC before you played V1, so somebody else's serials are saved in your flash memory.

The only ways to get online are to burn BlueCrab's boot disc, burn a copy of PSO that is pre patched to not need a boot disc, or buy a CodeBreaker disc.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

hobbycorp
shadow

Post#3 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:22 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:You need to erase your flash memory. Whoever owned that DC before you played V1, so somebody else's serials are saved in your flash memory.

The only ways to get online are to burn BlueCrab's boot disc, burn a copy of PSO that is pre patched to not need a boot disc, or buy a CodeBreaker disc.

Thanks for your response. I do have a Codebreaker disc! What would I need to do with that to make my game work?

I also have another Dreamcast which is my original. I don't think I ever played PSO Ver. 1 on that. Would that be an easier unit to play on?

lozz
core

Post#4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:14 pm

The instructions on how to connect using codebreaker can be found here: https://sylverant.net/connecting-to-sylverant/#psov2us

You could try your other DC. If it doesn't have any old serials saved on it, then you should just be able to create a character using the serials you have.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 pm

http://psopalace.sylverant.net

Need. Downloads>PSO DC Ives Pack 2.0 Torrent I seeding 24/7 so go for it

Filesort fixed, I was playing the GD-R my first week and the laser non-stop grinding is dreadful!

Or there is Codebreaker or BlueCrab's boot-disc, but just want to know how does one save Codebreaker! I recall even the downloaded Codebreaker saves and does not read nor saving one line with formatted VMU errors does not want to

hobbycorp
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 am

lozz wrote:The instructions on how to connect using codebreaker can be found here: https://sylverant.net/connecting-to-sylverant/#psov2us

You could try your other DC. If it doesn't have any old serials saved on it, then you should just be able to create a character using the serials you have.

Turns out my "brand new" Dreamcast from childhood was indeed preowned. Only now do I discover the lies my parents told me :lol:

There were serials attached to that console as well, so, no dice. I do have a question regarding your CodeBreaker method, though. In your instructions you refer to a "BBA". What is that? Also, I've only used CodeBreaker once before to help me along a Resident Evil 2 play through, so I'm a little rusty with using it. Do I just input all of those codes and then swap the discs out?

Lastly, I do have a copy of Phantasy Star Online Ver. 1. Would it be easier to just play online with that?

Thanks again. Sorry for the plethora of questions :geek:

hobbycorp
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:28 pm

So just as a quick update. I did manage to connect with my copy of PSO Ver. 1 but I'm not sure if I'm doing things right.

Dreamcast Now lists me as being online in the game and I can see that there are 2-3 people in a couple of lobbies. I have yet to actually play with anyone though. Just thought I'd provide this info to see if I'm on the right track or not :)

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#8 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:05 pm

You can just erase the flash memory and use either, or even both, of your dreamcasts. Really easy to do.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

hobbycorp
shadow

Post#9 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:You can just erase the flash memory and use either, or even both, of your dreamcasts. Really easy to do.

So I just did that via the Web Browser disc and got PSO Ver. 2 running but my loading portal freezes every time I'm about to enter the online lobbies. The game welcomes me to the world of PSO but then freezes. "The line was disconnected due to network errors. Please try connecting again later." This didn't happen with PSO Ver. 1 though

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#10 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:39 pm

hobbycorp wrote:
So I just did that via the Web Browser disc and got PSO Ver. 2 running but my loading portal freezes every time I'm about to enter the online lobbies. The game welcomes me to the world of PSO but then freezes. "The line was disconnected due to network errors. Please try connecting again later." This didn't happen with PSO Ver. 1 though

Are you using a retail disc without the codebreaker codes? V2 has a hunters license check that needs to be disabled or it won't let you connect. Use Ives Non EP version if you're just starting out or his EP version if you have a super high level character.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL