Getting Phantasy Star Online... online!

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

hobbycorp
shadow

Re: Getting Phantasy Star Online... online!

Post#11 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:55 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:
hobbycorp wrote:
So I just did that via the Web Browser disc and got PSO Ver. 2 running but my loading portal freezes every time I'm about to enter the online lobbies. The game welcomes me to the world of PSO but then freezes. "The line was disconnected due to network errors. Please try connecting again later." This didn't happen with PSO Ver. 1 though

Are you using a retail disc without the codebreaker codes? V2 has a hunters license check that needs to be disabled or it won't let you connect. Use Ives Non EP version if you're just starting out or his EP version if you have a super high level character.

I was using a retail disc without the codebreaker codes, yeah. I do have a codebreaker disc but thought I’d tinker around without inputting all of the codes first. Is there any significant disadvantage to playing online with Ver. 1 as opposed to Ver. 2? I seem to have got that running

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#12 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Well, alot actually. V2 is the much better game with more weapons, quests, another difficulty level, a level cap of 200 instead of 100, bug fixes, etc. Sega made people pay for a "hunters license" subscription for v2.

Your game is trying to reach the hunters license server which has obviously been defunct for years. If you don't have the codebreaker codes to disable that and connect to the sylverant server, it won't work. V1 is fine to connect bc it doesn't require a hunters license.

My advice is to download and burn a copy of Ives repacked cdis. They take care of all that and have had their file order optimized so it's easier on your DC's laser, have even more bug fixes, faster character model loading, etc.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

hobbycorp
shadow

Post#13 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:21 pm

hawkzer0 wrote:Well, alot actually. V2 is the much better game with more weapons, quests, another difficulty level, a level cap of 200 instead of 100, bug fixes, etc. Sega made people pay for a "hunters license" subscription for v2.

Your game is trying to reach the hunters license server which has obviously been defunct for years. If you don't have the codebreaker codes to disable that and connect to the sylverant server, it won't work. V1 is fine to connect bc it doesn't require a hunters license.

My advice is to download and burn a copy of Ives repacked cdis. They take care of all that and have had their file order optimized so it's easier on your DC's laser, have even more bug fixes, faster character model loading, etc.

I do have a copy of codebreaker so I'll give that a try. Looks kind of tricky though. Do I just input all of the codes and then swap the disc out with PSO Ver. 2? I haven't used codebreaker in ages.

I don't have access to a computer that can burn discs, unfortunately :(

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#14 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:58 pm

Yea if you are inputting them manually just take your time and double check each line. Put the master code in first. There used to be somewhere that hosted a codebreaker file with the codes already in there that you could navigate to and download with the dreamcasts web browser, but I can't remember where it was. It's been so long since I have used cb to connect with pso.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#15 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 pm

The downside to using CB is you need a separate VMU just for saving the connect and HL codes, and you must unplug that VMU before you boot PSO. If you don't, PSO will see that you have cheats on your VMU and disable all your rare drops. That's why people prefer BlueCrab's boot disc to using CB codes.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm

You can definitely use Enhanced the EP version as you build up from Normal>Very Hard modes

When just opened Ultimate I would fall-back to stock PSOv2 until can touch lv110-120 with your char all depending class+gear

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#17 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:04 pm

Mista, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't switching a character back and forth between ep and non EP cause some stat glitches iirc? Like your material levels might get reset or something.

And he would gain nothing using ep over non EP until he got to ultimate mode anyway, at which point they would be doing 0 damage without high level sd and good % weapons.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:12 am

I believe the better drops are still there

Yeh when you survive EP decide if stick with it, returning to stock would do just that default max limit, not set back to nothing

hobbycorp
shadow

Post#19 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Thanks to you all for your help and advice :)

This is a really cool community. I think I’m going to stick to PSO Ver. 1 until I can get ahold of a computer that can burn discs. I’ve never reached level 100 in PSO before so I think it’ll take me a while, anyway. I hope I get to play with some of you online at some point. In any game!