Reflashing Original Firmware on Clone GDEMU

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Raikusu
rebel

Reflashing Original Firmware on Clone GDEMU

Post by Raikusu »

If I end up bricking my clone GDEMU because I try flashing the new firmware onto it, would it be possible to reflash the original firmware back onto it? Would this require a eeprom flasher kit? Thank you.

Raikusu
rebel

Re: Reflashing Original Firmware on Clone GDEMU

Post by Raikusu »

I know there is a high risk but I thought it would be technically possible to backup the original firmware and reflash the GDEMU if it does brick by using a eeprom flash kit?

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

Raikusu wrote:but I thought it would be technically possible to backup the original firmware
it is possible, but the price is unlikely to suit you, it will cost about $20 000-30 000
cheaper to buy a new GDEMU with firmware 5.20 (about $80)

Raikusu
rebel

Post by Raikusu »

I just found that a new GDEMU clone is available on Aliexpress that has firmware that is current and up-to-date. It is also updateable. Here is the link:
US $79.52 29%OFF | Bitfunx GDEMU V5.20 Newest Version Optical Drive Simulation Board for SEGA Dreamcast DC VA1 Console SD Extension
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN5WZ2S

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

The V5.20.3 GDEMU can be updated. However, the update process of this product is complicated, and the product will become brick if the operation is wrong.

Virepri
noob
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online

Post by Virepri »

TBH you might just be better off buying a MODE than a legit GDEmu since the latter only goes on sale once in a blue moon and is only a little cheaper.

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

Virepri wrote:TBH you might just be better off buying a MODE.
easier to buy GDEMU clone with firmware 5.20.3
I see no reason to overpay for MODE

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Bleem does not work on the mode or bleemshell other homebrew does not work so i dont advise mode

Roareye
Rank 9
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Chu Chu Rocket, Quake 3, Monaco GP 2, PSO, Planet Ring, Toy Racer, Worms World Party

Post by Roareye »

Ian Micheal wrote:Bleem does not work on the mode or bleemshell other homebrew does not work so i dont advise mode
It doesn't? Does it not run CDI files? How did they mess that up so badly (considering it's an expensive premium price product)?