Gens4Dreams RC3: Shangri-La, 2/3/2023

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Gens4Dreams - Curated, Emulated Genesis/MD (using TapamN's Gens4all)

Post#51 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:42 pm

DCHDMI doesn't disable the analog output, however as long as you have it set to force vga you would also have to use a vga box and compatible crt to use the analog signal.

To use your original av cables, open the OSD, go to "Video Mode Settings" and set it to "Cable Detect". Make sure to set it to "Force VGA" again, when playing through hdmi or the image will be scaled from 480i instead of 480p and look like shit. Output resolution doesn't matter in this case, just leave it at whatever you use with your modern tv.
Something must be up if you think crazy taxi looks worst over vga lol

azel
fire

Post#52 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:55 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:DCHDMI doesn't disable the analog output, however as long as you have it set to force vga you would also have to use a vga box and compatible crt to use the analog signal.

To use your original av cables, open the OSD, go to "Video Mode Settings" and set it to "Cable Detect". Make sure to set it to "Force VGA" again, when playing through hdmi or the image will be scaled from 480i instead of 480p and look like shit. Output resolution doesn't matter in this case, just leave it at whatever you use with your modern tv.

Yep I just switch to cable detect when I use my CRT and it's fun to see it run on my computer monitor and crt at the same time in 480i mode (or sometimes 240p ;) ).

Yeah I'm sure Crazy Taxi looks incredible on a VGA monitor but I think over HDMI it's almost too clear and just highlights the flaws in the graphics, I much prefer that game on CRT. Where DCHDMI shines for me is pristine looking games like Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Rez, Zero Gunner 2 etc and a handful of 2d games like Guilty Gear looks incredible.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#53 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:58 pm

azel wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:DCHDMI doesn't disable the analog output, however as long as you have it set to force vga you would also have to use a vga box and compatible crt to use the analog signal.

Yep I just switch to cable detect when I use my CRT and it's fun to see it run on my computer monitor and crt at the same time in 480i mode (or sometimes 240p ;) ).

Yeah I'm sure Crazy Taxi looks incredible on a VGA monitor but I think over HDMI it's almost too clear and just highlights the flaws in the graphics, I much prefer that game on CRT. Where DCHDMI shines for me is pristine looking games like Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Rez, Zero Gunner 2 etc and a handful of 2d games like Guilty Gear looks incredible.

Doesn't DCHDMI support scanlines and a softening filter (hq2x) in its setup? Wondering if you have ever experimented with these settings to achieve an old-school tv crt look?

Looks like v4.9 (02-20-2021) is the latest firmware update.
https://github.com/chriz2600/DreamcastHDMI
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#54 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:22 pm

I wonder if the demo disc loader (Smashpack based) that I used for my Mega Drive Classics collection could load this emulator...If so I could start making themed collections.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#55 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 pm

mkandersson1082 wrote:I wonder if the demo disc loader (Smashpack based) that I used for my Mega Drive Classics collection could load this emulator...If so I could start making themed collections.

You might ask TapamN about that. This is simply a romset using his version of Gens4all, including his filebrowser.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#56 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:35 am

I'll have to look into it...if I can boot into the emulator on a per ROM basis we'll be golden. The menu is limited to 20 games, however, but that's plenty enough for themed collections IMO.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#57 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:55 am

mkandersson1082 wrote:I'll have to look into it...if I can boot into the emulator on a per ROM basis we'll be golden. The menu is limited to 20 games, however, but that's plenty enough for themed collections IMO.

not going to be using katana menu to boot a kos program

Could use dcmc custom menu i did for dreambor 7.1 i have to mod gens4all to boot just one game remove the menu

would need recompling and src changes..

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#58 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:42 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
mkandersson1082 wrote:I'll have to look into it...if I can boot into the emulator on a per ROM basis we'll be golden. The menu is limited to 20 games, however, but that's plenty enough for themed collections IMO.

not going to be using katana menu to boot a kos program

Could use dcmc custom menu i did for dreambor 7.1 i have to mod gens4all to boot just one game remove the menu

would need recompling and src changes..

Thanks for the heads up.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#59 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:23 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:This is simply a romset using his version of Gens4all, including his filebrowser.

tis what I said for MoeFoh it's jus the Gens4Good has a better ring to it 0.o I don't know why TapamN still goes by Gens4All..?

Salute

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#60 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:47 pm

mistamontiel wrote:
WedgeStratos wrote:This is simply a romset using his version of Gens4all, including his filebrowser.

tis what I said for MoeFoh it's jus the Gens4Good has a better ring to it 0.o I don't know why TapamN still goes by Gens4All..?

Salute

Gens4All has always been the name of the emulator on Dreamcast. It's based on the original Gens emulator. It's still Gens4all because that's just what the name is.
Gens4Good was a name I declared for my first package of ~500 games, the reason behind which was that I used the 2012 GoodGen romset for testing.
And Gens4Dreams, well this is the best version of Gens4all yet, and it features more than just the GoodGen romset. Several translations have been added in, which are not available in that 2012 romset, and some translations from that romset were replaced by newer ones. There are several romhacks and homebrew titles as well. This is, and will continually be, the best Genesis/MD romset for the Dreamcast community.

Plus, if you don't like the name, you can just rename it in GDmenu or write Gens4Good on the CD. Or whatever you want. The name isn't set in stone, and I'm not gonna be petty enough to staple it into the Credits menu.