Dreamshell sd card questions

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

jurbas
noob

Dreamshell sd card questions

Post#1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:03 pm

Hello

I recently got a dreamshell from aliexpress, i apparently could not get out of the boot menu, it recognized the fat32 sd card but all options were grey, in the text that appears briefly when booting up i can see the FAT32 file system being detected, and the grey SD card option wont even show up otherwise

I tried several cards i had been using in raspberry pi projects, several brands between 8 and 32GB, and formatted them to FAT32 using gparted (linux)

After banging my head into the wall for some days i tried a old 8GB sd card i had from some old phone, surprise surprise this one boots just fine!

I want to buy a large card, so i have a few questions:
- How do i know if a sd card will work or not?
- What is the max size a card can have?
- Is there anything special about the windows tools often recommend for formatting? Could gparted be formatting things wrong somehow?

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Re: Dreamshell sd card questions

Post#2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:14 pm

Try reformatting your cards with Gnome 'Disks'. For some odd reason I found that certain devices don't like gparted's formatting.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#3 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:28 pm

I had this same problem, I tried 4 different SD cards I had and only an old slow 2gig worked with dreamshell rc4.
I found dreamshell rc1 worked with the 32 gig card I bought for it, tho rc2 and above would not...

Works tho, I only use the iso loader app in dreamshell anyways so rc1 is fine for me. Tho If you find a solution please let us know

Cheers

jurbas
noob

Post#4 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:45 pm

mkandersson1082 wrote:Try reformatting your cards with Gnome 'Disks'. For some odd reason I found that certain devices don't like gparted's formatting.

This worked! Now all the cards work fine

Thanks!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:06 am

-drez01- wrote:I had this same problem, I tried 4 different SD cards I had and only an old slow 2gig worked with dreamshell rc4.
I found dreamshell rc1 worked with the 32 gig card I bought for it, tho rc2 and above would not...

Works tho, I only use the iso loader app in dreamshell anyways so rc1 is fine for me. Tho If you find a solution please let us know

Cheers

I use 32gb high speed card with rc4 all the time see the benchmark on my channel

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:31 am

I don't know the max size of the sd card for dreamshell.
I have a 128go sd card sandisk brand, it works like a charm.
samsung is well accepted by dreamshell too.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:16 am

jurbas wrote:
mkandersson1082 wrote:Try reformatting your cards with Gnome 'Disks'. For some odd reason I found that certain devices don't like gparted's formatting.

This worked! Now all the cards work fine

Thanks!

Glad it helped :)

Strudell
noob

Post#8 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:05 am

I was with similar problems. Using now SD Card Formatter -> FAT32formatter with a Netac 128gb from Aliexpress and it is working just fine.

aldair
Metallic

Post#9 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:21 pm

-drez01- wrote:I had this same problem, I tried 4 different SD cards I had and only an old slow 2gig worked with dreamshell rc4.

Cheers

your serial has bad capacitors.