Sega Rally 2 hangs when loading the game

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Sega Rally 2 hangs when loading the game

Post#1 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:06 pm

I have a clone GDemu (not sure of the version but I want to say it's v5.5), and the only issue that I've run into is with Sega Rally 2. I'd say about 20-30% of the time when loading the game, it hangs on the SEGA loading screen after the DC logo. The GDemu reset button works to bring it back to the menu, but it's a pain because it doesn't seem to be predictable and requires restarting until it works.

I've turned off "force VGA" in the settings, and have swapped out the rom a few times to make sure it's not an issue with that. I'm running the DC through a Kaico Dreamcast-HDMI adapter if that makes a difference.

Does anybody know why this would be happening, or if there's something I need to do? It's not a huge deal, but it's sort of bizarre because it's the only game I've tried that's had this issue. Everything else seems to work flawlessly.

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Sega Rally 2 hangs when loading the game

Post#2 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:21 pm

first of all try to extract from the controller VMU and Rumble Pack

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#3 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:28 pm

megavolt85 wrote:first of all try to extract from the controller VMU and Rumble Pack

Thanks for the reply. What you do mean extract? Take them out of the controller and start the game that way? I do have both a VMU and rumble pack inserted almost at all times.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:04 pm

ShreddieMercury wrote:Take them out of the controller and start the game that way?

yep
some games conflict with non-original devices

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#5 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:54 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
ShreddieMercury wrote:Take them out of the controller and start the game that way?

yep
some games conflict with non-original devices

Interesting, this solution seems to work! I removed the VMU and rumble pack and then loaded the game a few times to see. I loaded SR2 6 or 7 times from the menu with no issue.

So, I guess if I want it to run consistently from the GDemu I just have to sacrifice the ability to save? Sort of a bummer, but good to know that these devices can cause compatibility issues, which I hadn't heard. I do use two SEGA VMU's, don't know if that makes a difference but they're not third-party.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:03 pm

And what's the rumble to avoid? I don't see why first-party much less any VMU would halt this game from booting

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#7 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:30 pm

mistamontiel wrote:And what's the rumble to avoid? I don't see why first-party much less any VMU would halt this game from booting

I'm curious too. I haven't had this issue with any other game or peripheral in the past. I'll try again a few times tomorrow but in testing it tonight it did seem to make a difference somehow.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#8 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:20 am

now try to return the VMU to the controller, I'm sure the problem is in the RumblePack

megavolt85
Developer

Post#9 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:58 am

unfortunately, I don’t remember which game I checked (it seems it was RE2 or RE3) and which command is not processed by some third-party rumblepack, but the problem is definitely the incomplete processing of commands
I already encountered this problem when I made an adapter to connect controllers from other consoles to dreamcast, until I organized a full emulation of the MAPLE protocol, some games would freeze
I'm sure this is your problem, you need a quality rumblepack

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#10 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:44 pm

megavolt85 wrote:unfortunately, I don’t remember which game I checked (it seems it was RE2 or RE3) and which command is not processed by some third-party rumblepack, but the problem is definitely the incomplete processing of commands
I already encountered this problem when I made an adapter to connect controllers from other consoles to dreamcast, until I organized a full emulation of the MAPLE protocol, some games would freeze
I'm sure this is your problem, you need a quality rumblepack

Thanks for explaining! That definitely does seem to make a difference, however, it froze again recently and I only had the VMU inserted. Is this issue circumvented by removing and reinserting the VMU into the controller before powering on the console?

As for rumblepacks, I have a "Performance" (not sure of the brand) as well as a Mad Catz rumble pack. I have used the Performance one for almost everything up until now when trying to troubleshoot Sega Rally 2. Not sure if it makes a difference.