Shadow Gangs

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DCGX
Vagabond

Re: Shadow Gangs

Post#121 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:44 pm

shadowgangs wrote:
DCGX wrote:My copy came today! I've never had to sign for FedEx with proof I was over 21 before. I couldn't figure out what was being delivered.

Anyway, I love the comically large box (I'm jesting. I know they're for the vinyl records), but it all looks great! It's always odd not seeing the Dreamcast swirl or something similar to it on the spine, especially when it's on the shelf, but everything arrived safely!

I don't know when I'll get to it, I'm still slowly working my way through the Switch version, but I'm happy to have it and the soundtrack!

Congrats!

Play on Easy on the Switch :), and them after finishing the game, you can play on normal.
Yes the box was meant to contain the Vinyl, and the poster :)

It's not even the difficulty, I just haven't played my Switch much in recent months (mainly Xbox). I'll get to it, no doubt.

lol Yup, I figured. Makes sense. Then only one box needs to be purchased.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#122 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:04 am

Ian Micheal wrote:

Why for Dreamshell it is not working ? BLACK SCREENS and eternal Loading ! Never start
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#123 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:48 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

Why for Dreamshell it is not working ? BLACK SCREENS and eternal Loading ! Never start

It uses CDDA music

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#124 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:53 am

In this time, @Swat answering on dc swat dreamshell forum, you can try to request him...
I confess I don't dare him after all his work done but who knows.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#125 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:07 am

well at least i would be glad if DS would be able to boot these games with no sound..
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#126 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:14 am

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:well at least i would be glad if DS would be able to boot these games with no sound..

All kos homebrew is selfboot so it need to be unscrambled.. Not sure if Dreamshell cdi with cdda works on Dreamshell HDD IDE it's not going to work on the serial port not much point it would have to stream from the cdr anyways the music..

Missing out on the music pro sound track would be a shame to to say the lest..

Lot more indie games will prolly use CDDA in the future due to zero cpu use..

Maybe in the future the GDI digital versions will solve this..

Roel
Developer

Post#127 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:23 am

Ian Micheal wrote:Lot more indie games will prolly use CDDA in the future due to zero cpu use..

I'm not planning to use CDDA though. It uses too much space on the disc, and doesn't allow for seamless looping. Decompressing ADPCM audio uses only very little CPU anyway. As an added bonus, that way I can do some real-time processing on the music. For example, in Rush Rush Rally, a low-pass filter is applied when driving through tunnels.

In theory it should also be possible to let the ARM processor handle audio decompression, filtering and mixing. That would be the best of both worlds.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#128 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:30 am

Roel wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Lot more indie games will prolly use CDDA in the future due to zero cpu use..

I'm not planning to use CDDA though. It uses too much space on the disc, and doesn't allow for seamless looping. Decompressing ADPCM audio uses only very little CPU anyway. As an added bonus, that way I can do some real-time processing on the music. For example, in Rush Rush Rally, a low-pass filter is applied when driving through tunnels.

In theory it should also be possible to let the ARM processor handle audio decompression, filtering and mixing. That would be the best of both worlds.

Yeah depends on what your going to do ozzy did a new hardware acia driver for mikmod and ADCPCM that uses very little :)

https://streamable.com/raeh2e it can do spu ram and other formats direct..

Far as space goes not that much for cdda since most homebrew indie titles using not even 300mb Xenociders uses CDDA Driving strikers is using CDDA same with Shadow gangs with no space problem other then it pads the disk not with a dummy..

Every other format in kos uses up to 30% cpu time with spikes of 60% streamer is very heavy .. Your not using kos as far as i know.. Even 8% is too much when some of these games need 100% cpu power to get to 60fps or even 30fps..

Postal is using ADPCM audio as well modded as standard kos streamer was bugged..

Major problem is how kos is using acia and file system using PIO file reads so any decoding of any files is CPU load plus the decoding..

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#129 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 am

SEGA Lord X just reviewed the Dreamcast version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zmTEn8 ... WL&index=7

I'm having fun with the game, but he makes a good point about the lack of invincibility frames upon taking a hit (in conjunction with some enemy placement) and how the main character could use a few more frames of animation.

Overall, it looks like the changes made and time spent was well worth it to the larger community! I hope this has been a success for you in all aspects shadowgangs!

galaxygod
core

Post#130 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:09 pm

I don’t see a leaderboard for shadow gangs on speedrun.com, If anyones getting good at the game it’s an easy world record!

Return to “New Games”