Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Maztr_0n
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nothing Just Yet... But Likely 4x4 Evo will be First!

Re: Is it possible to port GTA 3 to the Dreamcast?

Post by Maztr_0n »

Ian Micheal wrote:
Esppiral wrote:Of course it would be possible, anything can be ported optimizing for the target platform, I mean the psx got PS2 ports and the switch has a lot of PS4 ports.

And the difference of power between those platforms is way bigger than ps2 vs Dreamcast
Of course no idea why people think it could not and silly it cant do it in 3D and silly NEW or dev saying
he could only do it in FPS mode give me a break ..

Point why we dont have it is none of us want to cell mate and being someones bitch and watching when we drop the soap.
hopefully i'm getting the gist of this message, i feel my dyslexic mind sputtering sometimes. And i agree with this but semi-related note: i dont think unless it was heavily optimised that GTAIII was ever planned or would work as a First Person game on DC, The PC version was planned to have it but was cut due to performance issues iirc. So not even Gaming PCs or the OG Xbox could do that! But with enough optimization as said its absolutely possible to have something close to the PS2 version

I'd expect GTAIII to probably be more low poly and probably have pretty heavy fog or would be more like GTA: Chinatown Wars? Perhaps that Top Down camera option that is in the retail version, but i aint a technical person. Can't run my mouth too much!

EDIT: Not gonna claim this is 100% evidence that 3D GTA is possible on DC, thats way out my wheelhouse, this is only speculation but at the very least the PSP games (Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories) were somewhat comparable to the PS2 games whilst having a control scheme like the Dreamcast. There were quite a few Dreamcast ports to PSP and iirc 4x4 Jam was a iPhone/PSP game ported to DC, so if GTAIII or VC are out of the question for the most part, i do think the PSP titles could work, or at least work better on the DC. Then again ram of PSP was 32-64mb but vram was 2mb. Take all of this with not just a grain of salt, but with a few grains though.
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||